POP to POP mail servers

Post by Kevin Manders » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi

I am setting up a small server for a business and wonder if anyone knows if
a pop to pop mail server exists?

What I am looking for is an application that can reside on a machine that
intermittantly dials an ISP. When connected a server queries a series of user
pop accounts and brings the mail back to the machine. The user would simply
check the local pop server for their mail and the relay would be transparent.
It would need some way of holding username/password for multiple accounts.

I have considered a regular smtp server. This approach requires the machine to
have a domain name for receiving user mail and also on the mail being sent to
it. This machine will simply be a dial up to ISP machine and will not be
permanently connected so I dont think a regular smtp server could work.

Has anyone got any solutions,. any help appreciated
regards
kevin manderson

POP to POP mail servers

Post by Toby » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> What I am looking for is an application that can reside on a machine that
> intermittantly dials an ISP. When connected a server queries a series of user
> pop accounts and brings the mail back to the machine.

How about writing a shell script which
use 'popclient'.  Popclient is s nifty
program which can retrieve mail in the
manner that you describe.  I don't think
that it can do multiple users, but you
could write a quick wrapper and stick this
in the crontab for periodic execution:

        #!/usr/bin/bash
        <establish connection with chat and pppd>
        popclient -umary -pfoo
        popclient -utom -pforscore3
        popclient -root -pzebraforce

Toby

        -There otta be a law-

POP to POP mail servers

Post by Kevin Manders » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

I have had a number of reponses-thanks to all.

The two best solutions appear to be
1. sendmail, popper and popclient
2. fetchmail with sendmail/qmail

I am investigating all options but think I will end up at fetchmail.

again thanks to those who replied.
kevin

POP to POP mail servers

Post by Christian.Juc.. » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

you can setup smtp for useing a relay_host that does all email sending
handling for your host. To get mail, tools like fetchmail or popmail
can download all mail messages for your local users (even from a lot
of different hosts). I am here at a nt pc please mail me if you're
interested in further informations.

Greetings

Christian J.

Quote:>Hi

>I am setting up a small server for a business and wonder if anyone knows if
>a pop to pop mail server exists?

>What I am looking for is an application that can reside on a machine that
>intermittantly dials an ISP. When connected a server queries a series of user
>pop accounts and brings the mail back to the machine. The user would simply
>check the local pop server for their mail and the relay would be transparent.
>It would need some way of holding username/password for multiple accounts.

>I have considered a regular smtp server. This approach requires the machine to
>have a domain name for receiving user mail and also on the mail being sent to
>it. This machine will simply be a dial up to ISP machine and will not be
>permanently connected so I dont think a regular smtp server could work.

>Has anyone got any solutions,. any help appreciated
>regards
>kevin manderson

1. pop-mail in redhat 6.0 and remote popping?

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong in my mail configuration?
Everytime I log into the pop-port, it gives a comment like Connection
closed by foreign host. When I email to the domain in question I get an
error saying it might be an MX-misconfiguration, but it looks like
everything is ok...
telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

When loggin in with Eudora from win 98, it says:
Logging into POP Server
Error reading from network Cause: Connection closed by foreign host (0)

In the error-mail to postmaster it reads:
553 mail.amorf.com config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)

The pop-3 service is turned on in inetd.conf, and is listening on port 110.
What can I do, please help,
Mendel

2. Change appearence of source ip?

3. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

4. Help needed...

5. configuring postfix / pop-server for smtp-after-pop

6. Installing New Application Software on a Linux Box

7. simultaneous pop connection slow down aix pop server

8. Floppy support for LINUX

9. Pop server for virtual pop accounts

10. Linux as Mail Gateway & POP Mail Server

11. HELP: Mail/Pop Server Can't Received Mail

12. Pop 2 and Pop 3 running concurrently

13. Pop Not Popping