Multicast over PPP (for Linux)

Post by David Simps » Mon, 10 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Right now I'm trying to setup a home Linux machine to receive IP multicast
packets. In particular, I want to test out some low-bandwidth Mbone audio.

At any rate, I have set up mrouted on a SparcStation on campus.  Locally, I've
compiled the latest version of the Linux kernel (1.3.99???) with multicast,
multicast routing, routing, and ipip support.

From this point, I'm not sure what to do.

If I try to set up mrouted locally, it doesn't seem to recognize ppp0 as a
valid network interface.  Likewise if it were to work, wouldn't I get an
error regarding having only one vif.  Also, I heard somewhere (can't be
sure) that mrouted is broken with the latest Linux kernel version, so that
may be my problem.

Anyway, here are my questions:

1) Can you do multicast ip over a PPP connection, which is your only network
 connection (and what do you need to do).

2) For the Linux people, have you done this?  Is mrouted currently broken?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

-Dave

            Graduate Student - Computer Science - UC Berkeley
               http://www-plateau.cs.berkeley.edu/~davesimp

1. Linux multicast is slower than Windows multicast ?

I'm developing 2 applications :

1- A program that runs under linux (mandrake 9.0) and sends multicast
packets (code is very simple, similar to this:
http://www.linuxsocket.org/books/Sockets/programs/part4/chap17/mcast_...)

2- A program under Windows2000 that receives multicast packets (sent
by linux program)

I noticed that linux transmitter is very slow. I tried to transmit
same packets using Windows application and I noticed that win2000 is
faster (10 times) than Linux. I tried different packet sizes:
transmission under linux is slower than Windows only for big packets
(>20KB).
Have somebody noticed same behaviour ?
Is there some configuration (kernel or user) that can improve Linux
performance ?

Thanks,

Manuel

2. Help needed with NSAPI

3. ISP's IP Multicast packets Keep PPP Awake

4. ES1371 Solution?

5. PPP timeouts and multicasts

6. nicing proftpd with xinetd?

7. multicast over PPP, how ?

8. How do I get x windows to run?

9. Problems with multicast on a PPP interface

10. Multicast & PPP on 1.2.13

11. IGMP/Multicast via async PPP

12. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

13. LINUX<(nullmodem)>Mac PPP connection; LINUX as PPP-server