Hi, need to find a FTP site to download IE4.0 for linux

Hi, need to find a FTP site to download IE4.0 for linux

Post by Blue » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I know, using Microsoft apps is bad  :) But i need iexplore (netscape is too
long loading) ... and this stupid microsoft tells only one ftp
(ftp.microsoft.com) who CANNOT resume downloads ...
I was disconnect since my last download .. so i need another ftp site ..
please tell me!

Thx :)
Bluez

Post by Thornton Prim » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I know, using Microsoft apps is bad  :) But i need iexplore (netscape is too
> long loading) ... and this stupid microsoft tells only one ftp
> (ftp.microsoft.com) who CANNOT resume downloads ...
> I was disconnect since my last download .. so i need another ftp site ..
> please tell me!

Where did you see IE for Linux at ftp.microsoft.com?

As far as I know, Microsoft has not released this beast to the
public, fearing that hoardes of NT users would flock to Linux.

thornton

Post by Thomas Linde » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I know, using Microsoft apps is bad  :) But i need iexplore (netscape is too
> long loading) ... and this stupid microsoft tells only one ftp
> (ftp.microsoft.com) who CANNOT resume downloads ...
> I was disconnect since my last download .. so i need another ftp site ..
> please tell me!

> Thx :)
> Bluez

There are tree ways:

The first one:
1. Download IE4.0 for win3.11 at ftp.microsoft.com
2. Install it onto your win partition
3. Download wine, the windows emulator. There are various locations for
downloading it, try at freshmeat.net.
4. Install it and configure it (read the documentation how to do that)
5. Change to the directory containing the executable of IE and type
% wine -managed iexplore.exe

If the software really starts (and works), then you will have the
fastest way to ...look "cool" icons (if you like them)!

The second one:
IE4.0 is available for SUN Solaris. You could buy Solaris, which is
available for Intel PC's too. I don't know if the IE runs on both Intel
and Sparc platforms - checkt the micro$oft site.
This is the fastest way to ... lose money...

The third one:
On most Linux systems lynx is installed. If it is not installed on your
system, you can download it everywhere. Lynx is a textmode browser.
This is the fastest way to ... surf the web and it loads very very fast!

So, bluez - it's your choice!

Thomas

Post by Mike » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>I know, using Microsoft apps is bad  :) But i need iexplore (netscape is too
>long loading) ... and this stupid microsoft tells only one ftp
>(ftp.microsoft.com) who CANNOT resume downloads ...
>I was disconnect since my last download .. so i need another ftp site ..
>please tell me!

Is this a hoax ? You do not REALLY expect IE4 to run on linux ?

--
Unix soit qui mal y pense.

Post by Thand » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>>I know, using Microsoft apps is bad  :) But i need iexplore (netscape is too
>>long loading) ... and this stupid microsoft tells only one ftp
>>(ftp.microsoft.com) who CANNOT resume downloads ...
>>I was disconnect since my last download .. so i need another ftp site ..
>>please tell me!

>Is this a hoax ? You do not REALLY expect IE4 to run on linux ?

Actually, I've heard reports that IE runs under wine. Don't know what
version of IE, or if it can actually do anything beyond loading though
(and I feel no need to test it for myself) :)

--
- Thandor, of Donuts Inc:
Through emulation of Homer Simpson we shall attain perfection.

Linux: Everybody's talking about the GNU kid in town. :)

Hi, need to find a FTP site to download IE4.0 for linux

Post by Blue » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Ok guys, i just find this on a site (a joke site so :) .. but if the win
version of IE works with wine it's cool .. :)
Thx to all

Bluez

Thandor a crit dans le message ...

>>>I know, using Microsoft apps is bad  :) But i need iexplore (netscape is
too
>>>long loading) ... and this stupid microsoft tells only one ftp
>>>(ftp.microsoft.com) who CANNOT resume downloads ...
>>>I was disconnect since my last download .. so i need another ftp site ..
>>>please tell me!

>>Is this a hoax ? You do not REALLY expect IE4 to run on linux ?

>Actually, I've heard reports that IE runs under wine. Don't know what
>version of IE, or if it can actually do anything beyond loading though
>(and I feel no need to test it for myself) :)

>--
>- Thandor, of Donuts Inc:
>Through emulation of Homer Simpson we shall attain perfection.

>Linux: Everybody's talking about the GNU kid in town. :)

Hi, need to find a FTP site to download IE4.0 for linux

Post by Phanto » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

ie4 does not run under linux at all,
in fact, there's a version made for hp-unix.