IP Accounting + Ip Chains

Post by dp.. » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a linux box doing masquerade with ipchains on two interface.
Is there any way to count packet emitted from the translated network
for each IP (and not for the whole translated network) ?

Masquerade is for about 100 windows workstations and I want to know
whichs stations are using bandwidth and which are not.

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

IP Accounting + Ip Chains

Post by bill davids » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

| I have a linux box doing masquerade with ipchains on two interface.
| Is there any way to count packet emitted from the translated network
| for each IP (and not for the whole translated network) ?
|
| Masquerade is for about 100 windows workstations and I want to know
| whichs stations are using bandwidth and which are not.

  Sure, just put in a separate rule in ipchains for each machine, and
then display with verbose to get counts. However, that beats hell out of
the gateway, since it has to check each source in the rules. The better
way is to pass each packet through a user program and count packets,
size, address, etc. I did a user program once, don't remember the
details, but it took a whole evening of reading and hacking to get it to
work at all.

  I don't know where to find an example, but I sure would like one, the
system I used is long since off to a client.

--

  When taking small children to a carnival, always have them go potty
*before* you let them go on the rides, and let them eat all the junk

1. IP Chains, IP Masq, and Dial on Demand Problems

I've set up my RH6.0 machine as a dial on demand router to the internet
for my home network.
The Dial on demand part seems to be working pretty well.  My problems
lies (I believe) in that I do not understand IPChains at all (this is
after reading the man pages
and HOWTO's).  Here are my issues.
1.  Client workstations can't send mail .  They can recv. it fine.
2.  My browser keeps telling me that I've been disconnected from the
internet and would I like to work offline or connect.  I hit connect and

everything's OK.
3.  Some web pages aren't working properly through it.  most noteably is

dejanews.  It draws most of the page and then states that the connection

is lost when It tries to display the message.

When I do an ipchains -L this is what I get
chain input (policy ACCEPT):
chain forward (policy MASQ):
chain output (policy ACCEPT):

I'm using IPChains version 1.3.8 for firewall and IP Masq.
I'm using the RH 6.0 default kernel 2.2.5-15
I'm using pppd 2.3.7 for the dial on demand

Help!!!!

2. ftp_script_needed

3. IP-Chains vs. IP-Masquerade

4. OpenGL problem with i810 on 4.6-RELEASE

5. IP Masquerade , IP Chains

6. task table full in DU 4.0D

7. proxy route gateway ip masquerading ip chains ?

8. Linux for Macintosh?

9. IP Chains by User, not IP Address,

10. ip masq/ip chains and @home email

11. IP Chains / Ip Tables

12. MS Game Zone w/ Linux 2.2.5/IP Masq/IP Chains

13. Going from IP chains to IP tables