Permanent PPP connection - problems

Post by Mark Beste » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have a permanent PPP connection via v.90 modem. The connection is
handled by a machine running RH6.0

The modem dials out and connects every time. Then anywhere from 30
seconds to 30 minutes later, the connection drops out. It doesn't seem
to be related usage or time.

The same modem and phone line manages to stay connected indefinitely
from Win 98.

Any ideas?

Permanent PPP connection - problems

Post by Bill Steine » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Mark:

I have the same problem. No answer yet, but at least we can commiserate.

We're using our linux box as a router with IP masquerade for internet
access for a small group of Win9x and NTWS PCs at home. I've seen (in the
system log) our v.90  modem stay connected as long as 2 hours,  usually
much shorter, but almost always at least 30 minutes. PPP automatically
reconnects and all is good again for another 30 minutes or more, but it's
a nuisance.

The 30-minute periodicity is very suspicious, isn't it. I've wondered
whether it's my ISP (also linux based) that cuts us off due to lack of
activity, but haven't asked them.  The line cuts out very rarely when were
actively using it. The cutouts mostly (but not always) occur when the
traffic is idle for a while. I've thought about using software to maintain
a low level of intermittent traffic going but haven't gotten around to
trying it. Think I've seen something that would do the trick in Red Hat's
Power Tools, or maybe it was at Linuxburg.

Good luck. Wish I could offer more than guesses. Would love to hear if you
figure it out. I'll do the same.
Later,
Bill Steiner

> I have a permanent PPP connection via v.90 modem. The connection is
> handled by a machine running RH6.0

> The modem dials out and connects every time. Then anywhere from 30
> seconds to 30 minutes later, the connection drops out. It doesn't seem
> to be related usage or time.

> The same modem and phone line manages to stay connected indefinitely
> from Win 98.

> Any ideas?

1. Linux permanent Line (connection two linux machines over a leased line (permanent telephone line)

Hi

I am trying to configure a ppp server to connection two linux machines
together. Aim is to connect two lans and finally make it possible to connect
into the internet through one server.

The leased line (permanen telephone line) is working. I can connect both
machines via minicom, but i am not able to set up the ppp server. If read
the standard howto's and i haven't solved setting up server and client
probably, whether normal ppp-client is working for other accounts.

Any experiences, suggestions? Help would be real great.

thanks in advance for every help

Christian

2. Four Intel 536ep modems in box

3. ppp and chat permanent connection

4. mmalloc (mapped malloc) on Linux 2.2

5. ppp and permanent connection

6. fcntl returns wrong error code

7. ISP Async PPP permanent connection

8. Busy mouse (I did RTFM)

9. Configuring Linux on a permanent (not PPP) Connection to Internet

10. routing to temp dial up connection and permanent connection

11. RH5.1 PPP connection: PPP connection persists, telnet session times out

12. Ask ppp-on and ppp-on-dialer for ppp connection

13. Masquerading a network using a permanent internet connection