IP accounting on a per-user basis, rather than per IP address.

IP accounting on a per-user basis, rather than per IP address.

Post by Lionel Lau » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I would like to be able to set up an Internet connection for one of our
offices using a Linux system as a firewall. Okay, this is easy enough
using ipfwadm which supports packet logging as well.

Problem: Management are saying: "Great, but we need to keep track of how
much each user accesses the Internet, you can only give us data on what
each /machine/ is doing - not good enough."

Their solution is to install MS Proxy Server on one of the NT servers.
I really, really don't want to have MS Poxy Server on any of my
machines!

Any ideas?

PS, Ideally I want to be able to track access by NT user account, but I
can probably kludge that up with Samba, if I can get accounting
happening on a Linux user account basis.

Lionel.
--
Grep bait: qmail, Archimedes Plutonium, turkey, Kibo, Wollmann, Meow.
Grep bait de jour: Theresa Willis, Terri

Try to use socks server (e.g. http://www.socks5.nec.com )

IP accounting on a per-user basis, rather than per IP address.

Post by Kerry Kopper » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

What part of MS Proxy Server are you trying to emulate? Web Proxy, Winsock
Proxy or Socks. Each of these are distinct components of MS Proxy Server.
Someone else has made a suggestion about Socks, Web Proxy can almost
certainly be done with something like squid. I don't know of anything that
does the same as Winsock Proxy (although I've never been able to get that
working reliably and consistently).