Specs for a Linux mail server

Post by Thomas Bj?rset » Mon, 08 Jan 2001 01:56:01

Hi.

We are considering Linux as the basis for our student mailserver. At
present we have 50000 accounts, and this is expected to increase with
10-12 000 during 2001. Maybe 10-15 000 of the mail accounts will be
active (SMTP and POP/IMAP). while the rest are "sleeping". All the
users are created as users on the server, but with /bin/false as their
login shell as we do not want them to log in to the server. We will
start to remove the oldest users as the new ones are registered, but
this will not happen right away (maybe the second half of 2001).

We will install a webmail interface (NeoMail/IMP/other) in addition to
the POP/IMAP daemons, but can't really say anything in regard to how
many will use the web interface or a mail client to access their mail
accounts.

We are looking for suggestions as to what kind of hard- and software
we need to support this solution. As a start, we will install this on
a dual PIII-800 with 1 GB ram and 100 GB of disk available for the
mail accounts (home and spool). More disk will be added during this
spring/summer. Will this be sufficient, or should we look for an even
more powerful server? Clustering is an option which can be implemented
during the summer of 2001.

All comments for server specs and/or own experiences from similar
environments are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Thomas B
--
Thomas Bjorseth, Computer consultant
Norwegian School of Management

OBS: Jeg snakker for meg selv, og ikke min arbeidsgiver!

1. Specs for Linux mail server

[...]

2. Is there a FAQ you this group?

3. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

4. HP Pavilion and X11

5. win95 client gets mail through linux machine from netware 3.xx mail server, POSSIBLE ?

6. drive path

7. Linux mail server with MS-Mail/Exchange

8. Anyone using FSInfo?

9. Linux as Mail Gateway & POP Mail Server

10. mail client for windows with enhanced features running on a linux mail server?

11. h/w spec for linux oracle app server - HELP!

12. Linux Server spec's

13. Help needed spec'ing Linux server