freezing samba

Post by C3 » Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:28:09

I'm running Samba 2.2.3a-14.1 for Debian, and every now and then when I
access a file from my WinXP machine, the program accessing the file in
Windows will freeze for almost a minute before opening the file. I think
both Windows and Samba are at fault here: Windows for* until the
program can read the file, and Samba for delaying this transaction (for
whatever reason), but I think I can fix the problem with Samba (don't know
about Windows).

The machine running Samba has 128MB RAM, and does not appear to be affected
by this behaviour in that I can still issue commands at the command prompt
via SSH.

Most of the time, I can open shared files very quickly. Sometimes, I
accidentally try to access files for which I haven't granted myself
permissions yet, though this should instantly return an error in the Windows
application, shouldn't it?

Any ideas where to start debugging this would be appreciated.

freezing samba

Post by J?rn Dahl-Stamne » Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:50:51

> I'm running Samba 2.2.3a-14.1 for Debian, and every now and then when I
> access a file from my WinXP machine, the program accessing the file in
> Windows will freeze for almost a minute before opening the file. I think
> both Windows and Samba are at fault here: Windows for* until the
> program can read the file, and Samba for delaying this transaction (for
> whatever reason), but I think I can fix the problem with Samba (don't know
> about Windows).

Is the application Word or Excel? I have the same problem, and after the
problem has occured, I find this a log-file under /var/log/samba/<pc>.log,
that says:

[2004/11/03 17:08:04, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(758)
  oplock_break: receive_smb error (Success)
  oplock_break failed for file /SomePath/somefilename.doc (dev = 808, inode
= 1844384, file_id = 26583).
[2004/11/03 17:08:04, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(843)
  oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.

The name of the logfile (the <pc> part of the name, see above) is based on
the windows machine name.

I'm running Version 2.2.3a under RH 7.3

--
J?rn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.veryComputer.com/

freezing samba

Post by C3 » Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:21:25

Yes! I get exactly the same error in my log file. I use Word and Excel, but
this also happens when I open files up with my text editor.

[2004/11/09 14:19:43, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(758)
  oplock_break: receive_smb error (Success)
  oplock_break failed for file Summary-Paper.doc (dev = 304, inode = 33468,
file_id = 3).
[2004/11/09 14:19:43, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(843)
  oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.

Any idea what's causing this or how to fix it?

cheers,

C3

freezing samba

Post by Michael W Cock » Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:06:52

>Yes! I get exactly the same error in my log file. I use Word and Excel, but
>this also happens when I open files up with my text editor.

>[2004/11/09 14:19:43, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(758)
>  oplock_break: receive_smb error (Success)
>  oplock_break failed for file Summary-Paper.doc (dev = 304, inode = 33468,
>file_id = 3).
>[2004/11/09 14:19:43, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(843)
>  oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.

>Any idea what's causing this or how to fix it?

>cheers,

>C3

What do you have in your samba config for 'opprortunistic file
locking' (probably misspelled).  There are several ways to lock a busy
file in MS operating systems, and MS isn't always consistant.

Mike-

--
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs...
You may have a great career as a network administrator ahead!

freezing samba

Post by C3 » Thu, 11 Nov 2004 22:01:05

No occurences of 'opportunistic' and only a commented example contains the
word 'lock' for /etc/samba/smb.conf

C3

>>Yes! I get exactly the same error in my log file. I use Word and Excel,
>>but
>>this also happens when I open files up with my text editor.

>>[2004/11/09 14:19:43, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(758)
>>  oplock_break: receive_smb error (Success)
>>  oplock_break failed for file Summary-Paper.doc (dev = 304, inode =
>> 33468,
>>file_id = 3).
>>[2004/11/09 14:19:43, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(843)
>>  oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down this smbd.

>>Any idea what's causing this or how to fix it?

>>cheers,

>>C3

> What do you have in your samba config for 'opprortunistic file
> locking' (probably misspelled).  There are several ways to lock a busy
> file in MS operating systems, and MS isn't always consistant.

> Mike-

> --
> If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs...
> You may have a great career as a network administrator ahead!
> --
> Please note - Due to the intense volume of spam, we have installed
> site-wide spam filters at catherders.com.  If email from you bounces,
> try non-HTML, non-encoded, non-attachments,

1. Freezing Samba boxes

After having the whole server setup and working I decided that I would
recomplie my kernl. Bad idea; so after my re-installation I configured
samba; got the file permision correct; and got everythign up and running.
Now, when I tried to put my MP3s (the ones on my win box on to the server; I
can transfer about 5 files and then the linux box freezes up on me. I am not
sure why however, I have a few theories;
1 KDE eats so many resources that my 486 dies?
2 One of the many samba opptions fits to my network card (or enables
something for the whole thing to work)?

I am running my samba server on a 486 dx4 (100mhz) with 64mb ram the network
card is a realtek fastline 10/100 pci card. There is no hup (direct
connection) and the windoze system is a brand new athlon 1.2 ghz with 256 mb
ram and the same card running win2000.
Any help is really appreciated. Thanks
Jason

2. Some general questions

3. Freeze freeze freeze..

4. iconv() problem

5. Samba freeze - do I need to reboot?!?!?

6. Help with mmdf mail setup ona SCO machine

7. Sendmail and Samba freeze when loading at startup

8. agere softmodem & kernel

9. Solaris NFS mount freezes/trying Samba

10. nfs/samba/network is freezing

11. Linux/Samba Machine & User Accounts for Samba PDC in samba-2.2.1a Question?

12. SAMBA, SAMBA, SAMBA

13. can't read proc/PID/environ or other - top and vmstat freeze - soft reboot freeze