relaying e-mail from win95 thru my Linux box

relaying e-mail from win95 thru my Linux box

Post by bondg.. » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I have a network of three computers at home. 2 win95 machines and a
Linux box. The Linux machine is connected to
the internet, and the win95 machines use masquerading to access the
internet. I have 3 e-mail addresses at my
ISP . I want the Linux box to read all 3 e-mail accounts and have the
win95 boxes get their mail from it. So far
I have everything working fine. But I want to send e-mail from the win95
box thru the linux box. I need to set
the relay rules properly. I have read the FAQ's at sendmail.org, but I
know so little about sendmail that I am not
able to figure it out. I think I need to add domain names to the file
"relay_domains". What format does this file
have, and how do I set the class R?? What is "class R" ?

I am running Slakware 7.0,  sendmail 8.9.3

Thanks for any help.

relaying e-mail from win95 thru my Linux box

Post by Eugene Strulyo » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I would not recommend sendmail. The configuration is next to
impossible (just look at /etc/sendmail.cf -- it's totally scary!). I am
using exim (which comes by default with Debian, btw) and the configuration
took me a whole 2 minutes.

Eugene

Post by Matt Goodal » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I have a network of three computers at home. 2 win95 machines and a
> Linux box. The Linux machine is connected to
> the internet, and the win95 machines use masquerading to access the
> internet. I have 3 e-mail addresses at my
> ISP . I want the Linux box to read all 3 e-mail accounts and have the
> win95 boxes get their mail from it. So far
> I have everything working fine. But I want to send e-mail from the win95
> box thru the linux box. I need to set
> the relay rules properly. I have read the FAQ's at sendmail.org, but I
> know so little about sendmail that I am not
> able to figure it out. I think I need to add domain names to the file
> "relay_domains". What format does this file
> have, and how do I set the class R?? What is "class R" ?

> I am running Slakware 7.0,  sendmail 8.9.3

> Thanks for any help.

Personally, I would replace sendmail with postfix. Postfix is *much*
easier to configure and even has your setup in the documentation as one
of the examples.

There are other MTAs, i.e. qmail, zmailer etc, but I don't know much
about them although thy are almost certain to be easier to use than
sendmail :-).

Hope this helps, Matt.

--
Matt Goodall, Software Engineer  |  Isotek Electronics Ltd

http://www.isotek.co.uk          |  Leeds, LS7 1NL
Tel: +44 113 234320              |  England

1. How to route win95 LAN thru Linux Box with ppp connection.

I'm having a problem with my lan. I want all my win95 machines to
connect to the Internet via my linux box (Red Hat 5.1 with PPP).
I can get the Linux box on the net just fine, just activate ppp0 and
add route default ppp0 and voila.
I also have linux configured as a gateway and the info from my
route table is:

So i'm guessing the line with the gateway address should have the ppp0
interface assigned to it. But route add won't let me
"route add default gw 194.229.16.225 ppp0" without an error.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Maurice

2. Can I run NetBSD on VLB 486dx2?

3. Sending FAX/w Win95 thru linux box

4. slowdown an intel ethernet expess pro/100B

5. Routing win95 pc thru linux box

6. Quicken-like program?

7. How to connect a linux box with a win95 box or OS/2 box?

8. Newbie question about apache and acessing home directories

9. Printing thru ethernet to win95 box?

10. Running 2 terminals thru a Linux box to a UNIX box...

11. Trying to get my Linux box to be a gateway for my Win95 box...need help

12. can't setup tcp/ip between linux box and win95 box

13. Trying to network a Win95 box to a linux box