"fallback" web server - How? (without clustering)

"fallback" web server - How? (without clustering)

Post by Dorsa » Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:30:36

I've gotten my 3 Linux boxes up and running smoothly. Now I'd _like_ to
be able to set things up so that if one or the other of them falls
over, the associated website doesn't just disappear - that is, I'd like
to be able to put up a single web page on the other machine that says
something like "The <website> server is currently unavailable. Perhaps
you would be kind enough to try us again in a little while...".

Short of clustering, is there any way to do this?

Dorsai

Post by Tech Support for IDE- » Mon, 05 Jan 2004 02:40:08

> I've gotten my 3 Linux boxes up and running smoothly. Now I'd _like_ to
> be able to set things up so that if one or the other of them falls

If you have identical setup, all you need is to re-route the IP from
your port forwarding firewall.  Unless you are tinkering with the
hardware, unattended web servers rarely fail.

Our web server have been up 370 days non-stopped.  During that period
of time,
there were several network outages, but the server itself never
stopped.  So, unless you have 100% reliable network, it's pointless to
make the server hardware better than the network.

Quote:> over, the associated website doesn't just disappear - that is, I'd like
> to be able to put up a single web page on the other machine that says
> something like "The <website> server is currently unavailable. Perhaps
> you would be kind enough to try us again in a little while...".

You can just assign multiple IPs to a web url.

Quote:

> Short of clustering, is there any way to do this?

Improve your supporting structure first.  For example, good power
source (inversed and filtered power) causes less stresses on the
server hardwares.
Use solid state drives rather than mechanical drives to avoid head
crashes.
Quote: