RPC Portmapper problems

Post by Martin Simon » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 01:13:59

Hi,

I am using a variety of computers in a network. Since I try to integrate
more machines in de the network via nfs I encounter the following problem:

Some machines work nicely together when it comes tot adressing one
another. The server ande the laptop can find eachother without a problem.
Two machines give problems though:
An iMac II, operating OSX 10.1.3
A machine AMD K6 128 Mb 350 MHz.

IMac:
showmount -e server succeeds
showmount - e iMac:
mount clntupd_create: RPC: Portmapper failure - RPC: timed out

showmount -e server
Export list for server:
/home/server 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
/home/user 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

AMD
showmount -e AMD
Export list for AMD:
/home/martin 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

showmount -e server
mount clntupd_create: RPC: Portmapper failure - RPC: timed out

I find no clues in solving the problem, neither in the books nor in the
newsgroups.

Regards,
Martin.

RPC Portmapper problems

Post by S├ębastien GUERI » Tue, 17 Dec 2002 23:35:07

> Hi,

> I am using a variety of computers in a network. Since I try to integrate
> more machines in de the network via nfs I encounter the following problem:

> Some machines work nicely together when it comes tot adressing one
> another. The server ande the laptop can find eachother without a problem.
> Two machines give problems though:
> An iMac II, operating OSX 10.1.3
> A machine AMD K6 128 Mb 350 MHz.

> IMac:
> showmount -e server succeeds
> showmount - e iMac:
> mount clntupd_create: RPC: Portmapper failure - RPC: timed out

> showmount -e server
> Export list for server:
> /home/server 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
> /home/user 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

> AMD
> showmount -e AMD
> Export list for AMD:
> /home/martin 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

> showmount -e server
> mount clntupd_create: RPC: Portmapper failure - RPC: timed out

> I find no clues in solving the problem, neither in the books nor in the
> newsgroups.

> Regards,
> Martin.

sebastien

RPC Portmapper problems

Post by Martin Simon » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 03:04:30

> Is the portmap daemon alive?

> sebastien

Yes, it is.

I am working on the issue quite a while now. It looks like that I have
found "the" question in any system administators exam.
The question comes by now and then in various newsgroups, but I never
saw anything that came close to an answer.

The problem could turn out quite difficult to solve.

Regards,
Martin.

1. Problem with RPC portmapper

I have run into some trouble trying to set up NFS on a Model 530: I can
mount directories from other machines without any problems, but other
machines are unable to mount directories on this machine. I think I have
traced the problem back to the portmapper: I use SMIT to start NFS,
I restart inetd, but when I use rpcinfo -p, it tells me that the only
RPC server registered is the portmapper itself (service 100000). What
is bizarre is that if I query about another service from another host
(using for instance 'rpcinfo -u Model530_name rup'), portmapper
will respond that "service 100005 is not registered" (I'm not sure
of the number here), which means that portmapper is able to read
/etc/rpc, it just refuses to "register" the server. Oh, BTW, the
server is indeed in /etc/inetd.conf

I am confused. Can anyone explain how to go about telling the portmapper
to register more than itself? What it the relation between /etc/inetd.conf
and /etc/rpc?

Thanks in advance to all AIX gurus out there...

JF Panisset
--
Jean-Francois Panisset

UUCP: ...!mcgill-vision!panisset

2. using remote tape drive..

3. Missing rpc.portmapper - networking problem RH 6.0

4. Writing a File system

5. RPC PORTMAPPER QUESTION

6. NTFS readable only when logged as root

7. RPC portmapper broken

8. Net config & route problems

9. No NFS RH 8.0 RPC portmapper failure

10. Using RPC's portmapper in isolation

11. RPC portmapper dies

12. RPC.portmapper won't work

13. RPC portmapper out to lunch... can't mount remote drives.