Help with RedHat Linux 8.0 + Cisco VPN Client 3.6.1

Help with RedHat Linux 8.0 + Cisco VPN Client 3.6.1

Post by Mr. » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 14:12:32

I've just installed a copy of RedHat 8.0 and am trying to get the
Cisco VPN Client 3.6.1 running on it.

I'm using the stock kernel that came with the distro and I've got the
kernel source installed (and modified the softlink to point back to

I run the vpn_install script and get the following:

--------------------------------

Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 3.6.1 (Rel) Linux Installer
Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Please review the license agreement found in license.txt

Directory where binaries will be installed [/usr/local/bin]

Automatically start the VPN service at boot time [yes] no

In order to build the VPN kernel module, you must have the
kernel headers for the version of the kernel you are running.

For RedHat 6.x users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux by
default
For RedHat 7.x users these files are installed in /usr/src/linux-2.4
by default
For Suse 7.3 users these files are installed in
/usr/src/linux-2.4.10.SuSE by default

Directory containing linux kernel source code
[/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/build] /usr/src/linux-2.4

* Binaries will be installed in "/usr/local/bin".
* Modules will be installed in "/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/CiscoVPN".
* The VPN service will *NOT* be started automatically at boot time.
* Kernel source from "/usr/src/linux-2.4" will be used to build the
module.

Is the above correct [y]

Making module
frag.c: In function `queue_fragment':
frag.c:55: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__
is deprecated
frag.c:62: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__
is deprecated
frag.c:78: warning: concatenation of string literals with __FUNCTION__
is deprecated
frag.c: In function `have_all_fragments':
frag.c:122: warning: concatenation of string literals with
__FUNCTION__ is deprecated
frag.c: In function `need_reorder_frag':
frag.c:202: warning: concatenation of string literals with
__FUNCTION__ is deprecated
frag.c: In function `handle_fragment':
frag.c:257: warning: concatenation of string literals with
__FUNCTION__ is deprecated
Create module directory "/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/CiscoVPN".
Copying module to directory "/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/CiscoVPN".
Creating start/stop script "/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init".
Creating VPN configuration file
"/etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/vpnclient.ini".

Installing bundled user profiles in
"/etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles/":
* New Profiles     : sample

Copying binaries to directory "/usr/local/bin".

Setting permissions.
/usr/local/bin/cvpnd (setuid root)
/etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient (world writeable)
/etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles (world writeable)
/etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Certificates (world writeable)
* You may wish to change these permissions to restrict access to root.

* You must run "/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start" before using the
client.
* You will need to run this script every time you reboot your
computer.

--------------------------------

Aside from a few warnings during the compile, it looks like the client
successfully installs.  However, when I try a "service vpnclient_init
start", I get the following response:

--------------------------------

Starting /usr/local/bin/vpnclient:
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec:
The module you are trying to load
(/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec)
is compiled with a gcc
version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running is compiled with
a gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work.
Failed (insmod)

--------------------------------

Any ideas on how to correct this situation and get the vpn client
working?

Thanks

Tariq

Help with RedHat Linux 8.0 + Cisco VPN Client 3.6.1

Post by Mr. » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 05:25:39

Sorry, found out that the module that needs to be loaded can be forced
to load using the -f flag to insmod.

Once I modified the /etc/rc.d/init.d/vpnclient_init file to force the
load, everything went fine.

Tariq

> [...]

> client.
> * You will need to run this script every time you reboot your
> computer.

> --------------------------------

> Aside from a few warnings during the compile, it looks like the client
> successfully installs.  However, when I try a "service vpnclient_init
> start", I get the following response:

> --------------------------------

> Starting /usr/local/bin/vpnclient:
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec:
> The module you are trying to load
> (/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec)
> is compiled with a gcc
> version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running is compiled with
> a gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work.
> Failed (insmod)

> --------------------------------

> Any ideas on how to correct this situation and get the vpn client

1. Linux vpn & cisco vpn client

I'm running redhat 7.1 and am looking for recommedations on setting up a vpn to my linux box.
I already have the cisco vpn client on my machine at work and was wondering if this client is
specifically for that vpn or if anyone has used it to connect to their home network?

Thanks in advance,

2. Routing over two interfaces?

3. VPN Tunnel; PIX -> Cisco VPN Client for Solaris 3.5

4. TrueType fonts, xlsfonts and RH8

5. Please help compiling Cisco VPN client

6. Editing/Specifying Cursors

7. Cisco VPN client can not connect with Linux ubuntu 6.10 - firewall ?

8. use un-cachable RAM as swap on RAM drive

9. Cisco VPN 3000 client for Linux

10. Cisco VPN Concentrator 3000 Series Client for RH Linux

11. VPN: Linux client for cisco 3000 router

12. Cisco VPN Client

13. Cisco C5000 VPN client for FreeBSD?