Slip and PPP

Post by ALBERT T GOIN » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I recently reinstalled my Linux stuff.  When I got everything running I
copied the script I used for pppd and tried to run it.  It is the exact
same script I used before I reinstalled and it does not work.  I am
running Slackware 3.0 and XFree86 3.1.2E.  This was the same before I
reinstalled.  The script gets the modem running and it connects to my
ISP.  It seems like it is working because when I use /sbin/ifconfig it
shows my ppp connection.  The problem is that I can't connect with
anything.  When I try to telnet anywhere or ftp anywhere I get an
unknown server error.  The only IP I have successfully connected to is
the remote IP on the PPP connection, that does me little good.  The
funny thing is that the same thing happens on slip.  When I use a dip
script to connect to my school's computer (in other words a totally
different ISP) the same thing happens.  Ifconfig shows the connection
but I get an unkown server to everything.  Can someone help?  If you
need more info please tell me.

--
                                -McBain

http://www.winternet.com/~mcbain
"Hello Professor Falken, how about a nice game of chess?"
                                -W.O.P.R.

Slip and PPP

Post by Richard Dubrawsk » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I recently reinstalled my Linux stuff.  When I got everything running I
> copied the script I used for pppd and tried to run it.  It is the exact
> same script I used before I reinstalled and it does not work.  I am
> running Slackware 3.0 and XFree86 3.1.2E.  This was the same before I
> reinstalled.  The script gets the modem running and it connects to my
> ISP.  It seems like it is working because when I use /sbin/ifconfig it
> shows my ppp connection.  The problem is that I can't connect with
> anything.  When I try to telnet anywhere or ftp anywhere I get an
> unknown server error.  The only IP I have successfully connected to is
> the remote IP on the PPP connection, that does me little good.  The
> funny thing is that the same thing happens on slip.  When I use a dip
> script to connect to my school's computer (in other words a totally
> different ISP) the same thing happens.  Ifconfig shows the connection
> but I get an unkown server to everything.  Can someone help?  If you
> need more info please tell me.

> --
>                                 -McBain

> http://www.winternet.com/~mcbain
> "Hello Professor Falken, how about a nice game of chess?"
>                                 -W.O.P.R.

make sure you updated your nameserver in your /etc/resolv.conf file,
without it you can be connected but unless you type in the numeric
address, you wont go anywhere.