Are there any good tools to account the traffic of each IP?

Are there any good tools to account the traffic of each IP?

Post by ?ó? » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:05:10

Hello:

     While i am using iptables as the firewall of LAN,I need to

 account the  traffic of my network ,It could creat report and statistic.

 Would you pls recommend some one for me ?

 Thanks

Post by Seth H Holme » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 05:58:35

> Hello:

>      While i am using iptables as the firewall of LAN,I need to

>  account the  traffic of my network ,It could creat report and statistic.

>  Would you pls recommend some one for me ?

mrtg will poll your computer every 5 minutes and generate a traffic usage
graph for you.

If you are trying for something more specific... you may not want to.

Or, from "man iptables" you have:

   LOG
       Turn on kernel logging of  matching  packets.   When  this
       option is set for a rule, the Linux kernel will print some
       information on all matching packets (like most  IP  header
       fields)  via  the  kernel  log  (where it can be read with
       dmesg or syslogd(8)).  This is a "non-terminating target",
       i.e. rule traversal continues at the next rule.  So if you
       want to LOG the packets you refuse, use two separate rules
       with  the  same matching criterias, first using target LOG
       then DROP (or REJECT).

       --log-level level
              Level of logging (numeric or see syslog.conf(5)).

       --log-prefix prefix
              Prefix log messages with the specified  prefix;  up
              to  29  letters long, and useful for distinguishing
              messages in the logs.

       --log-tcp-sequence
              Log TCP sequence numbers. This is a  security  risk
              if the log is readable by users.

       --log-tcp-options
              Log options from the TCP packet header.

       --log-ip-options
              Log options from the IP packet header.

If you want to log all the traffic you allow, just add a rule at the
end of your iptables config which allows all traffic and logs it.

Or, since this is a "non-terminating target" it can be put as the first
rule so you can see EVERY SINGLE PACKET that goes through your firewall.

If you want to watch traffic, I recommend the former while still using
iptables. I'm sure there are other pieces of paranoia software out there.

--
Seth H Holmes

Are there any good tools to account the traffic of each IP?

Post by Peteris Krumin » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 07:34:31

Quote:> Hello:

>      While i am using iptables as the firewall of LAN,I need to

>  account the  traffic of my network ,It could creat report and
statistic.

>  Would you pls recommend some one for me ?

>  Thanks

I have set it up as following:

two chains are created, TRAF_IN and TRAF_OUT
rules in forward chain are added to
-j TRAF_IN -i <internet interface>
 and
-j TRAF_OUT -o <internet interface>

TRAF_IN and TRAF_OUT have rules matching each IP i am interested in and
at night the iptable counters are read and the data is put in the
database. Counters then are zeroed.
Then my nice programs run and generate awesome datagrams and
statistics :)

P.Krumins

A search on http://freshmeat.net should turn up some choices.

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu
WPI Network Engineer

1. Good Apache log/traffic analysis tools

Anybody have any recommendations for log/traffic analysis tools for Apache?
I had been using servlets and cookies and the like to measure access to
pages, but I suspect that there are more interested tools out there than
just hit counters based on checking cookies.

Thanks,
David

2. xindows question please

3. Traffic accounting on multiple IP

4. find and replace strange characters

5. Accounting IP traffic to a particular uid

6. nestat command

7. IP Accounting on Traffic

8. 5.1 startx fails weitec p9000 Diamond adapter Decpc XL server

9. Accounting IP-Traffic -Time / Routing

10. Are there any DIY IP Accounting/Traffic Shaping Solutions?

11. Graphical TCP/IP traffic monitoring tool ?

12. Any ip traffic analyzation tools out there?

13. Tools for generating IP-traffic ?