Linux & HP DNS Co-existing

Post by Jose Santiag » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Anyone know how to integrate/move an HP DNS with underscores in the
> names to a Linux System. I moved everything over (copied actually) but
> NAMED rejected all the names with underscores. Documentation shows that
> an underscore is NOT a valid character for DNS names. But we have a lot
> of underscores in HP DNS names.  Unfortunately the HP is going away.

> nslookup works fine; so does ping. We could just rename all of them to
> dashes. But we're kind of afraid that we may have referenced a name with
> underscores in some undocumented critical function. (We're just
> nervous).

 HP has one of the earlier broken DNS implementations that should not
support underscores. We have a mixed HPUX/Linux/AIX environment and
had similar issues. named gives an error about underscores in names but
continues to resolve them anyway (We use bind-4.9.6-REL now).
We have since removed all of the underscores from host names. But, as I
recall, the names were still being resolved before we could remove all
references to names with underscores. We just set up aliases with both
dashes and underscores.

--
Jose Santiago

Systems Analyst - Scientific Systems
Komatsu Mining Systems - Peoria Operations
2300 N.E. Adams Street
P.O. Box 240
Peoria, IL 61650-0240

Voice:309-672-7325  Fax:309-672-7753

1. Co-existing Linux & Win95

Hi,

I have 2 hd. One with RH5.0 and the other with win95. I am presently doing
hd swapping to go into each OS. Is it possible for both the hd to co-exist,
using the Linux hd as primary and boot into win95 or vice vesa? If it is
possible, can anyone shown me how?

Thanks

2. staroffice setup

3. Advanced Print & File Server co-existing with NT Servers ?

4. where is the solaris encryption kit?

5. Help! Wearnes CD ROM port address?

6. New & old Slackware Dist'n co-existing?

7. SocketCreateListener() failed

8. mishaps with co-existing OSs (Linux and Dos Partitions)

9. MFM and IDE co-existing under Linux?

10. Linux and Win2K Server Co-existing

11. Can Bluetooth co-exist with Linux & Asus motherboard?

12. cron and tar not co-existing