downstream-only cable modem setup q

Post by Eric Agne » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I've read the mini-howto's, checked numerous places, & still can't get this
thing to work, so... here goes.

I've got 2 ethernet cards, 1 on a hub to my other machines, & the new one
set up connected to the cable modem.  I can dial into the server (prime
cable/chicago) w/ the ppp modem just fine, but can only ping machines on
the same subnet as the ip I end up with.  eth1 ends up just sitting there
doing nothing (pinging 10.0.0.1- which they gave me- works, but no other
numbers).

For anyone else out there w/ a similar setup (com21 or similar
downstream-only cable modem), the following info would be extremely
helpful:

- 'route -n' and 'ifconfig' output
- 'ipchains -L -n -v' output (or similar ipfwadm listing)
- whether dhcpcd was necessary/used on eth[01], what flags, etc. (it would
  seem to me that this would only make sense on a 2-way cable modem...?)
- any additional tricks necessary to get it set up & working properly

Any help greatly appreciated.  TIA.

--

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. ATI 2MB mach64 : X running SLOW?

3. Yet another cable modem setup question :( (Philadelphia area Suburban Cable)

4. Linux embedded IP telephony

5. linux setup for cable modem service by Cable TV Montgomery/ExpressNet

6. OpenBSD shirts

7. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

8. drivers for HP7200e CDRW

9. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

10. 2 Qs: modem connect speed indication, and mounting file system over modem link

11. Linux setup of @home cable modem

12. Setup for Mediaone road runner one way cable modem on linux (suse 6.4)

13. setup of cable modem with non-routable LAN