best windows emulator

Post by Bill Baile » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 04:52:57

I am in a bit of  a pinch. I use Linux ( Mandrake) on my laptop for home and
work. I am getting ready to start traveling again and won't have the luxury
of using my desktop for Visio and a few other Windoz apps that I have to do
for work.
I have not had to resort emulator but looks like it going to come to that.
What is the best windows emulator

best windows emulator

Post by Victor Zand » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 05:13:19

Quote:> What is the best windows emulator

    Last week I installed Win4lin on my VAIO 505F (233MHz, 64MB
memory).  See www.netraverse.com for an evaluation copy.

    It works very well.  I use it to develop Powerpoint
presentations.  The interactive response is a bit slower than
standalone Windows, but still comfortable.  I recommend it.

    I did not try VMware because its hardware requirements are too
high.

best windows emulator

Post by jtnew » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 05:26:58

vmware is best.
but you better have at least 128MB
of DRAM, I have 192MB and it works
ok.

> I am in a bit of  a pinch. I use Linux ( Mandrake) on my laptop for home and
> work. I am getting ready to start traveling again and won't have the luxury
> of using my desktop for Visio and a few other Windoz apps that I have to do
> for work.
> I have not had to resort emulator but looks like it going to come to that.
> What is the best windows emulator

best windows emulator

Post by Victor Zand » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:19:58

Quote:> I tried both Win4Lin and VMware. I would definitely
> recomend VMWare. Win4Lin main dissadvantave is that it installs it's own
> kernel, so if you have compiled your kernel to suit your needs.... well,

    No, you can download their kernel patches and apply them yourself.

best windows emulator

Post by Ernst Sexaue » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:39:54

Bill Bailey schrieb:

Quote:> I am in a bit of  a pinch. I use Linux ( Mandrake) on my laptop for home and
> work. I am getting ready to start traveling again and won't have the luxury
> of using my desktop for Visio and a few other Windoz apps that I have to do
> for work.
> I have not had to resort emulator but looks like it going to come to that.
> What is the best windows emulator

I have tried both win4lin and vmware

- vmware needs a lot of ressources and is slow but emulates everything, I tried
- win4lin is fast and needs little ressources. The list of supported w-apps is
long. If your preffered apps work with win4lin, it is definitely the best
choice. Give it a try

Best regards

E.R. Sexauer

1. Best X emulator for Windows

Hi all,
I am looking for any feedback on existing softwares that emulate X from
Windows 2K.
This is intended to be heavily used (well, as much as possible) by
several developpers running latest RedHat, KDE, KDevelop, Qt ...

What would be a good short list for evaluation ?
Any resource or consideration about performance, reliability, ... ?

Freewares or sharewares would be nice but commercial softwares like
Exceed would be considered as well if they are worth it.

Thanks

Celine

2. help X problem

3. X-windows terminal emulator for Windows 3.1

4. HELP!!! OLDS EMERGENCY!!!

5. Windows Managers - Best of the Best

6. Several Quick Questions...

7. What's the best Mac & WinX emulator for Solaris ???

8. sendmail5.67b+IDA1.5 delivery error on Linux

9. Best Term-emulator for win95 ?

10. plain terminal emulator wanted. Best one??

11. What's the best Mac & WinX emulator for Solaris ???

12. Best Terminal Emulator of MSWindows [Free]

13. Best way to make windows 3.1, windows NT and linux coexist?