WAN Management using Linux (like OpenView)?

WAN Management using Linux (like OpenView)?

Post by Jackson Garret » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm looking for software that would resemble HP OpenView in it's
graphical representation of network nodes on a WAN, showing bad links
and nodes, and I'd like it to run on a Linux Red Hat Intel machine.  I
could go purchase OpenView, but it doesn't run on Linux (as far as I can
tell), and it's also very expensive and has more details than I'm really
interested in.

I'd like something that would show a picture of the WAN, with maybe comm
links that are down in red and ones that are up in green, with perhaps
max data rates and average data rates represented to show when these
links are getting congested.

It doesn't seem like this would be hard to write as a
program...unfortunately I'm not a programmer and don't have the time to
learn.  It seems like there might be something already written out there
that could do these (what I"m guessing are) simple tasks.

Anybody know of anything?

Thanks...feel free to email or post.

Jackson Garrett
Manager, Data Services
Pacific Gateway Exchange, Inc. - Dallas, Texas

WAN Management using Linux (like OpenView)?

Post by Nick Shu » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I also would be very interested in something like this.... I have a Linux

to make my life easier...

Have to admit, this box has re-kindled my Linux interest, and got me to
re-install it on one of my home machines...

.. nick..

Post by Brian F. G. Biduloc » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I'm looking for software that would resemble HP OpenView in it's
> graphical representation of network nodes on a WAN, showing bad links
> and nodes, and I'd like it to run on a Linux Red Hat Intel machine.

[snip]

Try `scotty' and `tkined'.  Graphical interface, IP discover, TMN and
SNMP support.  Tcl/Tk interface.  Lots of good stuff.  RPMs available.

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock, P. Eng.,
Group Leader - Innovation Center

WAN Management using Linux (like OpenView)?

Post by Chris Carls » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Check out Scotty and Tkined at:

http://wwwsnmp.cs.utwente.nl/~schoenw/scotty/

--- Chris

Quote:>I'm looking for software that would resemble HP OpenView in it's
>graphical representation of network nodes on a WAN, showing bad links
>and nodes, and I'd like it to run on a Linux Red Hat Intel machine.  I
>could go purchase OpenView, but it doesn't run on Linux (as far as I can
>tell), and it's also very expensive and has more details than I'm really
>interested in.

[snip!]
Quote: