Slackware 96 - PPP - Not getting to the modem

Slackware 96 - PPP - Not getting to the modem

Post by Walter H. Hopgo » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I've been working at this all day, and am probably overlooking
something, but it appears (via glances into the newsgroup) that
other's are having similar problems.  Here's mine:

Have had linux 1.2.13 installed and running with pppd for over a
year now.  Things worked fine, other than figuring out the pap
stuff.

I just upgraded to Slackware 96 (linux 2.0.0) and now cannot get
my modem recognized at all.  /dev/modem is linked to /dev/cua1
and I am definatly on com2, the port and irq are correct (0x02f8
and irq 3) and pppd is compiled into the kernel.  I've tried my
scripts from before the upgrade, played with the ppp-on script
that came with Slackware, and used the pppsetup by Robert Liesenfeld,
but no luck.  I am running "setserial /dev/modem baud_base 57600"
prior to trying pppd, as well as adding other options (specifying
the port, irq, etc).  My Cardinal 33.6 modem doesn't flicker a bit
when I run the scripts.  My USR 14.4 modem will flicker the TR
light while the script is running, but never does anything else.
Based on what's in the /var/log/messages file, it appears that it's
sending "AT" and never gets a response back.

Does anyone know what it could be?  All help would be appreciated, and
where possible, paid back. :)

.
Walter H. Hopgood, Tasman NAG and Team OS/2 Member

Slackware 96 - PPP - Not getting to the modem

Post by W. Paul Mil » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I've been working at this all day, and am probably overlooking
>something, but it appears (via glances into the newsgroup) that
>other's are having similar problems.  Here's mine:
>Have had linux 1.2.13 installed and running with pppd for over a
>year now.  Things worked fine, other than figuring out the pap
>stuff.
>I just upgraded to Slackware 96 (linux 2.0.0) and now cannot get
>my modem recognized at all.  /dev/modem is linked to /dev/cua1
>and I am definatly on com2, the port and irq are correct (0x02f8
>and irq 3) and pppd is compiled into the kernel.  I've tried my
>scripts from before the upgrade, played with the ppp-on script
>that came with Slackware, and used the pppsetup by Robert Liesenfeld,
>but no luck.  I am running "setserial /dev/modem baud_base 57600"
>prior to trying pppd, as well as adding other options (specifying
>the port, irq, etc).  My Cardinal 33.6 modem doesn't flicker a bit
>when I run the scripts.  My USR 14.4 modem will flicker the TR
>light while the script is running, but never does anything else.
>Based on what's in the /var/log/messages file, it appears that it's
>sending "AT" and never gets a response back.
>Does anyone know what it could be?  All help would be appreciated, and
>where possible, paid back. :)

Will a com program such as minicom access the modem?
Even if ppp is not working, your script should get you to the modem, and
even dial out, connect. But when it tries to make a ppp connection, it will
fail.
--
 ----------------  http://www.tyrell.net/~wpmills/  ----------------
: W. Paul Mills          : Bill, I was there several years ago.     :

: compuserve 70023,1750  : #define MY_TRUE_LOVE computer            :
 --------------  http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/  -------------

Slackware 96 - PPP - Not getting to the modem

Post by of my o » Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Check if pppd is a script, copy pppd-2.2 over pppd or edit your ppp-go
script to use pppd-2.2 if you are seting up using pppsetup

Post by nien.. » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: Check if pppd is a script, copy pppd-2.2 over pppd or edit your ppp-go
: script to use pppd-2.2 if you are seting up using pppsetup

  I had a similar problem and it turned out that I was running the wrong
ppp-on script !!!  With Slackware 96 you get a ppp-on script in
/usr/sbin I think.  Did you edit this file ?
Anyways, at the prompt try
to echo ath1 to /dev/modem
with redirection

*       University of Cincinnati        http://www.uc.edu/~nienabk         *
*       Major: Computer Science                                            *

1. Getting slackware 96 via ftp

Does anyone know of a site that would have all of the slackware install
disks/directories tar'ed into one big file to make it easier to d/l in
one or two goes. As there are so many directories with so many files in
each it seems alomost impossible to d/l it. And waiting for the
infomagic linux cd's in Australia seems to take eternity.

If any one could help could you please mail me at

Thankyou in advance

Glenn Powell

2. chroot telnet from inetd

3. Getting Slackware '96

4. Help needed on compiling MESA on linux

5. chat and ppp for Slackware 96

6. Shuting down RedHat 5

7. Slackware 96 Modem Problem

8. linux newbie - some questions...

9. PPP Problem using Slackware 96

10. Linux Slackware 96 PPP bug ??? (for pppd)

11. DIAL-PPP script failure in slackware '96

12. PPP & SLACKWARE 96 (Linux 2.0.0)

13. Slackware 96 Modem Hell! - Please Help