PPP on IBM GlobalNetwork

Post by rmol.. » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I am running RedHat 5.0 and am struggling with PPP.  Here is a comment
from the IBM Global Network PPP setup guide for Linux:

"Be advised this setup procedure suggests you use +ua, but Red Hat 5.0
implemented a PPPD version that does not support +ua. If you are using
Red Hat 5.0 you will need to write your own PAP Secrets Script."

What is the equivalent command in RedHat for:

                +ua /etc/ppp/login

(Here is entire recommended /etc/ppp/options file:

#  Please replace the <port speed> tag with the appropriate
#  throughput speed desired for the connection.  You can experiment
#  with speeds including 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, and 115200.

<port speed>
+ua /etc/ppp/login
defaultroute
noipdefault

----
Rob Moloney

PPP on IBM GlobalNetwork

Post by Dennis Brak » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Just drop the +ua line. When IBM negotiates PAP, pppd will look for
a file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and log you in using the username and
password.

example /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

# Secrets for authentication using PAP...
# client server      secret        IP addresses
"internet.usinet.dbrake"   *   "MyPassword"

Two other things you should check are
1) in your options file there should be a line like
name "internet.usinet.dbrake"

2) in your chat script make sure the line with CONNECT
   doesn't contain anything else (i.e. no "" ). You want the
   chat program to terminate quietly since pppd will send
   the username/password

Dennis

> I am running RedHat 5.0 and am struggling with PPP.  Here is a comment
> from the IBM Global Network PPP setup guide for Linux:

> "Be advised this setup procedure suggests you use +ua, but Red Hat 5.0
> implemented a PPPD version that does not support +ua. If you are using
> Red Hat 5.0 you will need to write your own PAP Secrets Script."

> What is the equivalent command in RedHat for:

>                 +ua /etc/ppp/login

> (Here is entire recommended /etc/ppp/options file:

> #  Please replace the <port speed> tag with the appropriate
> #  throughput speed desired for the connection.  You can experiment
> #  with speeds including 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, and 115200.

> <port speed>
> +ua /etc/ppp/login
> defaultroute
> noipdefault

> ----
> Rob Moloney

1. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

I made a trick .. instead of using chat to connect PPP like was in the
books
(that for me doesn't work) I used dip (it's the one that is supposed to be
used with SLIP connections) .. I make a script for dip so it connects using
PPP, and everything goes fine till I connect... After I connect the host
where i'm connected is Okay and everything seems to be Okay. but when I do
I simple ping to my own IP (not localhost but my assigned fixed IP) it says
unable to reach host.. I think the hardest thing to setup in linux is PPP
:( .. geee...

I have the Slackware 3.0 stuff... and I feel like i'm a newbie.. :(

Is out there any better FAQs or How-TOs for the PPP connections ???

bye !

--
 _    ____ ____          _____________________________
| |  |    |  __|         Luis Aranguren Carvajal
| |  | || | |            http://www.ven.net/~pizzaman

|____|_||_|____|         _____________________________

2. TIN 1.2 PL0 with NOV

3. ppp on ibm.net

4. Linux and NT integrated user data

5. DNS Problem with PPP connecting to AT&T World or IBM Net under Linux

6. cpio with QIC02 locks upon end of tape

7. IBM PS/2 (microchannel crap) PPP

8. regular expression in C programming

9. IBM.NET and PPP 2.2.0

10. ibm.net ppp setup problem

11. ibm.net PPP Connection?

12. PPP 2.3.5 and conecting to ibm.net pap-secrets question

13. IBM Linux PPP Connection Script