Network card fails to initialise

Post by Peter Klem » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

We have a linux server (RedHat 5) that has suddenly decided not to
initialise the network card at startup. Instead, 4 blank lines appear in the
startup screen display where normally it would report detection of eth0 and
the NE2000 network card.

After startup, both ifconfig and route report absolutely nothing. However, I
can manually enter ifconfig and route commands to configure the card and it
works, so I know the hardware is OK.

I have checked the files in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and all seem to be in order.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start   does not bring the network card up.

I could backup the important data and re-install from scratch, but there
must be something simple that can fix this problem.

Any help greatly appreciated - I am a relatively new and inexperienced user.

Regards

--
Peter Klemm