Network newbie needs direction

Post by Mark McK » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:55:30

I have two PCs at home, one running Win98 and the other with RedHat.
I'd like to link them together with a LinkSys router I've purchased
and connect to my DSL line.  Further, I'd like to setup my linux box
as a dedicated web server.

Are there any resources out there that could help me do this?  I have
some knowledge of networking, but have never used Linux with DSL
before, set up a home network nor managed a web server through
anything other than loopback.

Mark

Network newbie needs direction

Post by Mark McK » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:01:13

I have two PCs - one with RedHat and the other with Win98.  I'd like
to link them together in a home network via a router I bought and also
connect to my DSN line.  I'd also like to turn my Linux box into a
dedicated web server.

Unfortunately, I have only a rudimentary knowledge of networking.  Are
there any resources anyone can direct me to to get a better handle on
how to do all this?

(If you're getting this more than once, my appologies in advance.
Google Groups is generating a ton of errors today).

Mark

Post by Joost Kremer » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:04:39

> I have two PCs - one with RedHat and the other with Win98.  I'd like
> to link them together in a home network via a router I bought and also
> connect to my DSN line.  I'd also like to turn my Linux box into a
> dedicated web server.

> Unfortunately, I have only a rudimentary knowledge of networking.  Are
> there any resources anyone can direct me to to get a better handle on
> how to do all this?

best place to start is <http://www.tldp.org>. there's tons of info
there. look specifically for the HOWTO's (there is a section on
networking) and the Network Administrators Guide (follow the Guides
link.)

HTH

--
Joost Kremers           http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~jkremers
Ask 8 slackers how to do something, get 10 answers.

1. Newbie Seeks Networking Direction

Hi All,

Heres what I have:
A Packard Bell 486 SX2 50 Mhz (I know I know) running Win 3.11 and a
P133 running Win98 that I built. Not too shabby for a poor college
student!!! Both have RedHat 5.2 installed. I am wondering what would be
the best way to network them and using what OS? I would like to
incorporate at least one computer as a Linux Workstation and or Linux
Server. Also need to know what kind of cheap NICs will be compatible
both in Win 3.11 or 98 and Linux and whether I should run em through a
bridge or just pier to pier. I can do the cabling myself so thats not a
concern. Thanks on any guidance provided......!

Humbly Curious!!!

2. Handling multiple equal network addresses

3. Newbie needs boost in right direction.

4. problem with setting up a jumpstart server.

5. Newbie needs a nudge in the right direction for recompiling the kernel with new drivers

6. Undeliverable mail

7. Newbie needs help in the right direction.

8. SCSI drive not visible

9. newbie needs direction

10. Basic networking trouble, need a push in the rigth direction!

11. Newbie is begging for a push in the right direction

12. Point a Newbie in the right direction DSP, Onboard Controller PC Modem

13. Newbie wants direction