linux serial console

Post by root » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 02:27:56

I am looking for some help with setting up a linux box to display its
console output to the serial port. I found the docs that come with the
kernel and followed the instructions, but unsuccessfully. Currently I am
attempting to get a login promp by connecting a sun box to it and
running tip in the same way I am used to. I don't get a login prompt.

I appologize if this is not a networking issue, it seems to relate
though.

Thank you

Alex Vladimirskiy

linux serial console

Post by Aleksandr Vladimirski » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 02:36:29

I am attempting to set up a serial console on a linux box (VA RedHat
6.2). I found the instructions in the kernel docs and followed them. But
it doesn't seem to work. I am also trying to get a login prompt by
connecting a seral cable from a sun workstation. That isn't working
either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Alex Vladimirskiy

linux serial console

Post by Yibing Fa » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 04:23:31

> I am attempting to set up a serial console on a linux box (VA RedHat
> 6.2). I found the instructions in the kernel docs and followed them. But
> it doesn't seem to work. I am also trying to get a login prompt by
> connecting a seral cable from a sun workstation. That isn't working
> either.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated,

> Alex Vladimirskiy

Hi Alex,

You can use mgetty.
Works well for me.
--
Best Regards,

Yibing Fan
------------------

linux serial console

Post by Aleksandr Vladimirski » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 04:59:55

thanx. i've tried it but still no luck

#mgetty -s 9600 /dev/ttyS0

(the log reports a lack of connection)

alex

> > I am attempting to set up a serial console on a linux box (VA RedHat
> > 6.2). I found the instructions in the kernel docs and followed them. But
> > it doesn't seem to work. I am also trying to get a login prompt by
> > connecting a seral cable from a sun workstation. That isn't working
> > either.

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated,

> > Alex Vladimirskiy
> Hi Alex,

> You can use mgetty.
> Works well for me.
> --
> Best Regards,

> Yibing Fan
> ------------------

linux serial console

Post by Peter Mitchel » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 06:32:41

Make sure you have a null modem cable if you are connecting
similar machines.

If you want to be able to use the serial console every time
put a line in /etc/inittab. Details in serial howto or
text-terminal howto, but it is something like

S1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty /dev/ttyS0 D9600 vt100

Note the capital S and numeric 0 in ttyS0 (com1).

Peter