Problems in Win95 connecting to Linux Samba server running PPP

Problems in Win95 connecting to Linux Samba server running PPP

Post by Phil Stratto » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Help.  I have configured a 386 as a Samba server, and had it working just
fine.  I could see the Samba box from my win95 box in the Network
Neighborhood.  I could mount shares on the Win95 box, and with Rumba I could
mount shares from my win95 box on my Samba/Linux box.  Then I configured
PPP.  I got PPP up and working, dialed in to my ISP (as I am now), and got
IP Masq so I can connect through my Linux box to the 'net.

    Now to the problem.  I just the past 24 hours (I've had this config up
for about 48 hours I think) I have been getting the 'Blue Screen of Death'
on my Win95 box.  A problem in the IFSMGR VxD called from the NDIS VxD.  I
messed with some stuff on the Win95 box but to no avail.  Finally, I killed
smbd and named, and I haven't had a problem since.  Every time it has
happened, I have been connected via PPP to my provider.  This leads me to
believe the problem is a combination of PPP and Samba on the linux box (?).

    Can someone give me a clue as to what to do next?

    Here's the details:

    386:
    Linux V 2.0.34
    PPP V 2.2.0 something (came with Slakware 3.4?)
    Samba V1.9.18p8
    NE2000 E-net card
    28.8k Modem

    Pentium class (Cyrix 6x86 166+)
    Win95 OSR2
    NE2000 E-net card
    IE4.01 (I know, I know, the Evil Empire).

If you need any more info, let me know.  I'm at my wit's end on this one.
It's quite perplexing.

1. Connecting from Win95 to a linux ppp server, how???

I have a linux ppp server up and running.  It works great
between linux systems but to make my boss happy he wants win95 users
to be able to connect to it as well.  I have configured dial-up
networking under win95 to connect to comercial ppp servers but it just
hangs when I link to our linux ppp server.
        Is there anything special I need to setup on the win95 side.
        On the linux side I just have a ppp account that runs pppd as                   its
shell.

        Thanks,

        Michael

2. Why NFS is doing this?

3. Win95==>Linux PPP server (need to bring up terminal window after connect WHY)

4. Semaphore Idea

5. connecting a remote win95 to my linux server via PPP ?

6. xf86 supports Diamond Stealth 64 with S3 Vision864 chipset?

7. Win95 laptop connect tp Linux PPP server?

8. 3COM Nic & FreeBSD 3.3

9. Running Linux as PPP server for Win95

10. samba via ppp server - other win95 machines

11. Help with a PPP server so win95 can connect

12. Win95's PPP <-> Linux PPP server?

13. Win95 PPP and Linux PPP Server