Page Count on Samba Users

Post by Michael Hirschbichle » Mon, 01 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi Folks,

I am not very used in making special programming solutions for a Linux
System, but a managed to make a Samba Server running, with around 50
Users, home directorys etc. etc.

My question:
I have to count the amount of pages, which the users print over my Samba
Server, but I have no idea, how I could manage that.
I get the username, and the number of the printjob, that's no problem,
but I don't know how to filter out the number of pages of a job.

Do You know a ready-to-use solution? A plugin or something like that?

I would be very happy, if You could help me, because my boss will hurt
me ;-) if I don't find a solution immediatly

Greetz
Hirschi

Page Count on Samba Users

Post by sschwa.. » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi Michael!
1. Download the Standard PostScript Driver from Adobe.com
2. Download an uptodate Ghostscript and install it
3. Use LPR from Berkely
4. If you use apsfilter configure it doing accounting in apsfilterrc
5. On Windows Clients use the Adobe PostScript Printer as default
6. Set the permissions of your accounting file listed in /etc/printcap
to write to group
7. Thats it. Now Ghostscript counts the number pages to print and add a
line with user, date, time, and number of pages to your accounting file

I hope I could help you!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Q: Info about paging (count of page-in/page-out)?

Is there a way to get exact information on the number of pages swapped
out and/or swapped in (as part of paging behavior caused by the
application) at any given point in an application?

I have program that does repeated traversals over a
tree/directed-graph like structure, starting with a different root
every time (although there is probably some overlap in the nodes
visited). The data structure is larger than main memory size, and so
there is obviously paging as previously-unreferenced pages are swapped
in and others are swapped out to make room for the newly-loaded pages.
What I would like to do is measure the number of page-outs and
page-ins for each iteration of my traversal so that I have a measure
of the paging activity that goes on for that iteration. Is there
something I can get from the /proc filesystem or from the page daemons
or elsewhere? (I don't necessarily care about whether the pages
paged-out belong to this application or not, just that they were
necessary due to the allocationbehavior of this application.)

I know about major page faults from getrusage, but I am not sure if
that number is precise, and also whether it includes both page-outs
and page-ins. For example, if I fault on a page that is swapped in,
and say that another page had to be swapped out to make room for the
new page, does that count as one or two major page faults?

Also, where can I find more information about the page-out mechanisms
of Linux? I would guess that page-outs (writes) are cheaper than
page-ins (reads) because they can be grouped together (page-out
several pages at a time), and may take advantage of some write
buffering (on disk?) Any information, details, etc. about paging
mechanisms will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sheetal
Sheetal V. Kakkad           Department of Computer Sciences, UT-Austin

2. Boca modem won't reset.

3. Counting pages with SAMBA

4. linux / win 98 connectivity question

5. Print page count for each users

6. Problems with linux memory managment !?

7. Fix: Init page count for all pages during higher order allocs

8. Anyone using OSF/1 on their Sun box?

9. Linux/Samba Machine & User Accounts for Samba PDC in samba-2.2.1a Question?

10. Linux user count passes 2000 users

11. Serving additional page to every user's page

12. Counting the number of pages printed

13. [2.4] update ref counts on all allocated pages