Porting network drivers from RedHat 9.0 to SuSE 8.0

Porting network drivers from RedHat 9.0 to SuSE 8.0

Post by chuwyc » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 16:38:21

Recently I installed RedHat 9.0 and SuSE 8.0 on my laptop.
I did a full install with RedHat 9.0, while I did a minimum
install for SuSE 8.0.  My hope in doing a minimum install for
SuSE is that it might be a good way to pick up Linux from the
ground up, since I am a newbie, so doing everything in command
lines might help me understand Linux better.  The network
driver for SuSE is not loaded, so I figure I can probably be
able port the working network driver from RedHat 9 to SuSE.
Problem is, I don't know where to find the drivers, and which
driver is being used by the network card.  So, can anyone
point me out a right direction in finding the correct driver?
I guess my other concern is that would the driver for RH9
work for SuSE8.  My assumption is that drivers compatibility
is kernel-dependent, so it doesn't matter what distro one is
using.  What exactly is "tulip"?  I remember playing with that
sometime ago to get my NIC working.

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 18:34:12

Quote:> ------------------------------------------------------------
> Recently I installed RedHat 9.0 and SuSE 8.0 on my laptop.
> I did a full install with RedHat 9.0, while I did a minimum
> install for SuSE 8.0.  My hope in doing a minimum install for
> SuSE is that it might be a good way to pick up Linux from the
> ground up, since I am a newbie, so doing everything in command
> lines might help me understand Linux better.  The network
> driver for SuSE is not loaded, so I figure I can probably be
> able port the working network driver from RedHat 9 to SuSE.
> Problem is, I don't know where to find the drivers, and which
> driver is being used by the network card.  So, can anyone
> point me out a right direction in finding the correct driver?
> I guess my other concern is that would the driver for RH9
> work for SuSE8.  My assumption is that drivers compatibility
> is kernel-dependent, so it doesn't matter what distro one is
> using.  What exactly is "tulip"?  I remember playing with that
> sometime ago to get my NIC working.

Do you have a built-in nic or pc card?  Did you install pcmcia (in
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB do you have pcmcia and pcmcia-external)?

While standalone binaries man run on either system, modules are closely
integrated with the kernel and both RH and SuSE add their own patches to
the kernel. So you usually cannot mix and match binary modules from
different distros.  But lsmod and /etc/modules.conf in RH could give you a
clue what modules are needed for SuSE.  Unless you have a really stripped
system, you may already have those modules.

I ftp installed SuSE 8.0 on my laptop some time ago.  But I was not sure
how to use my wireless nic with kernel pcmcia, so I am using
pcmcia-external (PCMCIA_SYSTEM="external" in /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia and
HOTPLUG_NET_DEFAULT_HARDWARE=pcmcia in /etc/sysconfig/hotplug).

If you have YaST2 you can set up networking with that (also handy for
updates).  Otherwise you can use /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg.template as
an example to create ifcfg-eth0 (or ifcfg-eth-pcmcia-0 with
ifcfg-eth-pcmcia symlink), but you probably also need ifcfg-lo if that
does not exist.

Post by chuwyc » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 03:55:46

> > <snip>

> Do you have a built-in nic or pc card?  Did you install pcmcia (in
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB do you have pcmcia and pcmcia-external)?

> <snip>

Yes, it is a built-in NIC.  I have ran YaST2 and it said the
device has already been configured.  It is shown as a Compaq
Computer Corporation 623-LAN Grizzly, configured as eth0 with
DHCP.  I have both pcmcia and pcmcia-external in the
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB directory.  However, when the computer
boot up, it will say eth0 failed upon device startup.  I have
tried doing "ifconfig eth0 up", but it will bounce back the
error:

  eth0: unknown interface: No such device

And when I did "ifup eth0, it responded:

  ifup: Could not get a valid interface name: -> skipped

When I went into /etc/modules.conf, I notice that "alias eth0"
line is off, so I set it to tulip, as in my RedHat 9.0
configuration.  I went further down in modules.conf and
uncomment "options tulip".  I also played around with
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia and change PCMCIA_SYSTEM="kernel" to
PCMCIA_SYSTEM="external", and I it did not help at all.

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 10 Jun 2003 02:58:42

>> > <snip>

>> Do you have a built-in nic or pc card?  Did you install pcmcia (in
>> /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB do you have pcmcia and pcmcia-external)?

>> <snip>

> Yes, it is a built-in NIC.  I have ran YaST2 and it said the
> device has already been configured.  It is shown as a Compaq
> Computer Corporation 623-LAN Grizzly, configured as eth0 with
> DHCP.  I have both pcmcia and pcmcia-external in the
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB directory.  However, when the computer
> boot up, it will say eth0 failed upon device startup.  I have
> tried doing "ifconfig eth0 up", but it will bounce back the
> error:

>   eth0: unknown interface: No such device

> And when I did "ifup eth0, it responded:

>   ifup: Could not get a valid interface name: -> skipped

> When I went into /etc/modules.conf, I notice that "alias eth0"
> line is off, so I set it to tulip, as in my RedHat 9.0
> configuration.  I went further down in modules.conf and
> uncomment "options tulip".  I also played around with
> /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia and change PCMCIA_SYSTEM="kernel" to
> PCMCIA_SYSTEM="external", and I it did not help at all.

What does 'lspci -v' show for your ethernet device.  If it is a real DEC
chip (instead of a clone) you might need to use the proper module for it.
I think SuSE 7.3 tried to use tulip module for an old built-in nic
identified as DECchip 21142/43 and I had to switch it to de4x5 module.
de4x5.txt says:

    Originally, this driver was written for the Digital Equipment
    Corporation series of EtherWORKS Ethernet cards:

        DE425 TP/COAX EISA
        DE434 TP PCI
        DE435 TP/COAX/AUI PCI
        DE450 TP/COAX/AUI PCI
        DE500 10/100 PCI Fasternet

    but it will now attempt to support all cards which conform to the
    Digital Semiconductor SROM Specification.  The driver currently
    recognises the following chips:

        DC21040  (no SROM)
        DC21041[A]
        DC21140[A]