Connecting to windows 2000 network

Post by Dustin Is » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:11:36

I have a RedHat 7.3 laptop that I wish to connect to my school's
Windows 2000 network via ethernet. I need to be able to login like I
would when you first turn on the computer and it asks for username,
password, and domain in windows. After that on our network we use
Watchguard Firebox for our firewall. So to log onto the internet i
have to type in the address "http://firebox:4100" and it brings up a
java applet asking for the username/password again. Is this type of
connection possible? Actual sharing between computers as such in
network neighborhood is not required. I just need access to the
internet.

Post by cybea » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:03:54

> I have a RedHat 7.3 laptop that I wish to connect to my school's
> Windows 2000 network via ethernet. I need to be able to login like I
> would when you first turn on the computer and it asks for username,
> password, and domain in windows. After that on our network we use
> Watchguard Firebox for our firewall. So to log onto the internet i
> have to type in the address "http://firebox:4100" and it brings up a
> java applet asking for the username/password again. Is this type of
> connection possible? Actual sharing between computers as such in
> network neighborhood is not required. I just need access to the
> internet.

One step at a time. The way I read your post you seem to be talking about
several things at once, all merged together.

First, to get the basic windows connectivity check out:

http://samba.org

you did not say what distribution you are using but most come with samba
precompiled.

Now the way I read this I think you are physically at the school plugging
directly into the Ethernet and you want to get out to the Internet, yes?
Since I don't know the setup at your school I can not say that it is
possible or not. You would need to get hold of the person or department
that "runs" the network. You will need to ask then how to get an IP
address. Chances are you will need to be set up as DHCP which can be done.
You will also need to get the internal DNS address and edit your
resolv.conf file to include the address and add the domain as a search
domain. I'm guessing on how the firewall works but I don't think it is any
sort of windows specific protocol so once you get your IP address set up,
it should work, including the fire wall thing. If all you need is Internet
access, you should not even need the windows networking part.

All of this is speculation because I do not know the specifics of the
network you are connecting to. You'll need to talk with the IT department.
If it's an all MS shop you may have some problems. I have found all MS
shops to be a bit inflexable when it comes to Linux.

Connecting to windows 2000 network

Post by Tim Sampso » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:51:54

Dustin

The first question that springs to mind is do you want to do this with or
without their permission? With their permission and cooperation it should be
quite straightforward.

Cheers
Tim S

Quote:> I have a RedHat 7.3 laptop that I wish to connect to my school's
> Windows 2000 network via ethernet. I need to be able to login like I
> would when you first turn on the computer and it asks for username,
> password, and domain in windows. After that on our network we use
> Watchguard Firebox for our firewall. So to log onto the internet i
> have to type in the address "http://firebox:4100" and it brings up a
> java applet asking for the username/password again. Is this type of
> connection possible? Actual sharing between computers as such in
> network neighborhood is not required. I just need access to the
> internet.

Connecting to windows 2000 network

Post by Bob Kardel » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:20:58

What I think you need is an IP address and that is it.  The network logon
from a Windows machine is really to connect you to shared drives and
computers - that's it.  If you had a good IP address for the network, it
would not be a problem to open you browser and point to the firebox.  But,
two more things:

First, set your /etc/hosts file to show the IP address of the firebox or you
will have to send your browser to the firebox like http://192.168.8.1:4100.
(BTW, you probably already know this, but the :4100 just tells the browser
to use port 4100 instead of the normal port 80.)

Second, as stated by someone else, you need to find the DNS server which you
school uses and put this in the resolv.conf file.

I think if you do both of these things you will be able to get to the net.

Bob Kardell

Post by Dustin Is » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:33:12

> One step at a time. The way I read your post you seem to be talking about
> several things at once, all merged together.

> First, to get the basic windows connectivity check out:

> http://samba.org

> you did not say what distribution you are using but most come with samba
> precompiled.

> Now the way I read this I think you are physically at the school plugging
> directly into the Ethernet and you want to get out to the Internet, yes?
> Since I don't know the setup at your school I can not say that it is
> possible or not. You would need to get hold of the person or department
> that "runs" the network. You will need to ask then how to get an IP
> address. Chances are you will need to be set up as DHCP which can be done.
> You will also need to get the internal DNS address and edit your
> resolv.conf file to include the address and add the domain as a search
> domain. I'm guessing on how the firewall works but I don't think it is any
> sort of windows specific protocol so once you get your IP address set up,
> it should work, including the fire wall thing. If all you need is Internet
> access, you should not even need the windows networking part.

> All of this is speculation because I do not know the specifics of the
> network you are connecting to. You'll need to talk with the IT department.
> If it's an all MS shop you may have some problems. I have found all MS
> shops to be a bit inflexable when it comes to Linux.

I am physically plugged in to the network.
The whole network consists of 2000/98 machines. They allow bringing
your own computer, but for them actually understanding what I want I'm
not sure (I'm only a sophmore in high school they don't expect this).
Since I need an IP address I'm thinking I can use the IP from the
machine I am using at school now and just not have it logged on thus
freeing up the IP for the laptop.

If I can get the IP how can I set up DHCP?

As for the internal DNS address are you referring to the ip for
firebox or for the 2000 server and how would I get that?

Is there a dialog/dos command that will tell me that information?

I found a a file "resolv.conf" in /etc. I'm guessing that is the
correct one. If I can obtain this information the next thing I would
need to know is the proper way to insert the information in
resolv.conf and any other "stuff" I need to do.

1. Can't get ftp on Windows 2000 to work on network connected by Samba

I have a network consisting of several Linux machines and one Windows
2000 machine. This network is tied together using Samba, and one of the
Linux machines has a modem on it that connects my network to my isp. My
problem is this:
If I try to connnect to an external machine using ftp on the Windows
2000 machine, I can get connected, but when it goes to open the
directory on the remote location, I get a message "Port 192.168.0.2,6,85

500 Illegal Port command
!Failed "retrieve remote file list"
unable to retrieve remote file list

I've tried several ftp programs, including command line ftp, and I get
the same, or similar results. (192.168.0.2 is my Windows 2000 machine) I
can connect to remote ftp sites if I run ftp on any of the Linux boxes.
Does anybody know what the problem is, or if there is any fix? I've
tried to connect to many different sites, and I get the same problems.

TIA,
Ed

2. RH 7.2 network keeps shutting down

3. How to connect three different network using redhat linux 9 - clients are window 2000

4. RewriteEngine messes up %xx codes in URLs

5. Wishlists for Linux AND Windows 2000 (was Re: Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000)

6. Modem Question!

7. Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Home Networking

8. Does anyone use FUJITSU MO driver m2513 under SCO unix?

9. Networking Linux Redhat 8.0 & Windows 2000 Pro On Dynamic Based Network

10. Problems connecting from Windows 2000 to Solaris (IMAP, FTP)

11. why i still can't use pptp client to connect to windows 2000 pptp server

12. Newbie Connecting Windows 2000 to Linux

13. connect from linux to windows 2000 terminal server?