Linux ftp-server not reachable from outside

Linux ftp-server not reachable from outside

Post by razoo » Mon, 09 Apr 2001 17:28:58

Peolpe cant ftp to my linuxbox since i have a new cablemodem which
blocks ports up to 1024. So I use port 2121 and 2020
I have trouble getting it run.

These are my firewallrules:
------------------------
# ftp-data (20) and ftp (21)
#//ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 0/0 -d $1 2020 -j ACCEPT
#//ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 0/0 -d $1 2121 -j ACCEPT

# accept incoming request on port 2121
ipchains -A input -i $EXTERNALIF -p tcp -s $ANYWHERE 1024:65535 -d $IP
2121 -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNALIF -p tcp ! -y -s $IP 2121 -d $ANYWHERE
1024:65535 -j ACCEPT

#PORT MODE data channel responses
ipchains -A input -i $EXTERNALIF -p tcp ! -y -s $ANYWHERE 1024:65535
-d $IP 2020 -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNALIF -p tcp -s $IP 2020 -d $ANYWHERE
1024:65535 -j ACCEPT

# PASSIVE MODE data channel responses
#ipchains -A input -i $EXTERNALIF -p tcp -s $ANYWHERE $UNPRIVPORTS -d
$IP $UNPRIVPORTS -j ACCEPT
#ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNALIF -p tcp ! -y -s $IP 1024:65535 -d
$ANYWHERE 1024:65535 -j ACCEPT
------------------------

Hosts.deny is empty

It can be that the rules arent correct, or that I forget something
else.

How can I test it myself?
I can connect from my winbox.

All help will be welcome.

greetz

1. Can't FTP to my FTP server from outside

Hello,

I have a Fedora Core 2 machine with pure-ftpd server installed behind
my home Siemans 4 port router and DSL modem communicating thru my DSL
ISP. I can FTP to that ftp server fine using its local IP address from
within my home network.

I have done a www.WhatisMyIP.com and determined my internet IP
address. I can ping to that IP from outside of my network but an FTP
attempt yields: connect timed out. I have set the router to make the
local IP address of the FTP server a DMZ machine, hence it should
allow any access through it.

I suspect that my ISP is blocking at least certain ports, from
googling this problem, and that perhaps if I use a high non standard
port somehow, access may be possible.

Is this correct? If so, would someone access my server in a different
way than the usual ftp x.x.x.x ? Also, do I have to change an ftpd
setting from usual defauts?

Thanks so much for any ideas.

Will

2. Forbidden Technologies

3. Linux on ethernet, sometimes reachable, sometimes not.

4. PPP under Linux

5. can't see my internally masq'd ftp server from the outside: help

6. Slackware, Printing

7. can not connect to rsync server from outside

8. Interest in Go PLaying App

9. HELP: Can reach http server from outside but not from inside LAN...

10. server with wireless NIC not accessible outside of LAN

11. Web server not visible to the outside world

12. Can not access server from outside of perimeter

13. help:dns server not acessible from outside !