Sendmail, DNS, Dial-on-demand

Post by Roman Maje » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I have small LAN (10 computers) and a Linux box with IP-masquerade and
dial-on-demand as gateway to internet. I have also a Internet SMTP
relay and I use fetchmail with ETRN for downloading the mail for
users on my LAN. This Linux box also act as POP3 and SMTP server
for my internal clients (MS Outlook).

Problem:
When a local user sends a mail to local user, the box is calling
the internet.

I have my MASQUERADE AS domain in /etc/hosts
(In some howtos and from my previous experience this is enough
for sendmail to accept some domain name as local name)
I have sendmail running in deferred mode.

May be some problem with DNS? (I have DNS for my "internal" LAN)

Roman.

Sendmail, DNS, Dial-on-demand

Post by Chris Barto » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>I have small LAN (10 computers) and a Linux box with IP-masquerade and
>dial-on-demand as gateway to internet. I have also a Internet SMTP
>relay and I use fetchmail with ETRN for downloading the mail for
>users on my LAN. This Linux box also act as POP3 and SMTP server
>for my internal clients (MS Outlook).

>Problem:
>When a local user sends a mail to local user, the box is calling
>the internet.

>I have my MASQUERADE AS domain in /etc/hosts
>(In some howtos and from my previous experience this is enough
>for sendmail to accept some domain name as local name)
>I have sendmail running in deferred mode.

>May be some problem with DNS? (I have DNS for my "internal" LAN)

>Roman.

check that you have all hosts that connect to your linux box in your
/etc/hosts file.

also in sendmail.cf  that Cw contains your local domain or
/etc/mail/sendmail.cw also has the local domains listed

1. sendmail and dial-on-demand

I have dial-on-demand setup as described in the DOD mini-HOWTO and it
works wonderfully.  The only problem I have is that every 15 minutes
the network connection is brought up.  I am convinced that this is
because sendmail is set up to send the queue every 15 minutes:

/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q 15m

I don't understand why it's bringing up the network connection
while the queue is empty, though.  Can anyone explain this to me,
and possibly how to prevent it from happening?

--Wart

2. tape drive

3. pppd 2.3.5 dial-on-demand: first DNS lookup always times out

4. X always sets vert sync to 45 hz and it hurts my eyes, rh 7.3, gf3 ti200, multisync 95

5. dial-on-demand, masquerading and DNS issues

6. Pageup/down emulation on Powerbook 3400

7. DNS doesn't Dial-on-demand

8. Redhat 5.1 Install Problems

9. demand dialing vs. the other demand dialing

10. ISDN Dial-On-Demand: Can't Stop dial with arp packets...

11. spurious (?) DNS queries + dial on demand

12. Caching DNS on network behind dial on demand router

13. sendmail & dial on demand: always connects