token ring token ring token ring

Post by Leonard R » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>I'm so frustrated by linux token ring support and by reading
>news articles from people who say they have theirs working.
>I've been trying for months without success.  As far as I can
>tell, it should work on my system.  If you have any pity,
>please look below at my configuration and see if you can help
>me get this thing running.  Otherwise, I have no alternative
>but to dump linux.

I would advice either going to a more recent kernel, or back to 1.2.x,
and applying the TR patch.  As far as I can tell, the built-in TR support
in 1.3 was broken early on, and not fixed until very recently.

I had no end of problems - normally showing as booting and init'ing the
TR card ok, could ping ok, but any more then that (such as telnet or ftp,
either into or out of the Linux machine) gave a kernel panic.

Compiled up 1.3.72 the other day and it's been running perfectly ever
since.  I'm using a Madge Straight Blue right now but have also used
some older IBM 4/16 cards.

Leonard

Post by CMSC 4 » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I'm so frustrated by linux token ring support and by reading
news articles from people who say they have theirs working.
I've been trying for months without success.  As far as I can
tell, it should work on my system.  If you have any pity,
please look below at my configuration and see if you can help
me get this thing running.  Otherwise, I have no alternative
but to dump linux.

Linux version 1.3.59
IBM Token Ring Adapter 16/4 with Tropic Chipset

The switches on my token ring card are:
        1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12
        1  0  0  1  1  0  0  0  1  1  0  1
        \______________/  \__/  |  \__/  |___ 16Mbps data rate
                |           |   |    |________16Kb shared RAM paging
         ROM addr:cc000     |   |_____________primary adapter
                            |_________________interupt 2

My boot up messages from the token ring driver are:
tr0: ISA 16/4 Adapter/II found using irq 9, PIOaddr  a20,
     0K shared RAM.
tr0: Hardware address : 08:00:5A:72:44:4C
tr0: Initial interrupt : shared RAM located at 00000000.
tr0: Adapter initialized and opened.

I created rc.inet1 using netconfig, and followed the directions
in the network howto for forming my netmask address, broadcast
address, etc.

QUESTION 1:
From the messages above, it looks as if the TR driver has
installed properly, but why do these messages indicate 0K
shared RAM located at 00000000?  Would this explain why I
cannot ping to anywhere outside my machine?

QUESTION 2:
I'm on a subnet, and when I run tcpip from DOS (which works
fine, by the way) the address of my "default router" is printed on
the screen.  I'm using this address as my gateway address in my
rc.inet1 configuration file.  Is this correct?  Since I'm on a
subnet, do I need to include addresses of machines on all networks
that I pass through?

Thanks, Jonas.

token ring token ring token ring

Post by de schrijver peter sh62 xx » Fri, 15 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:

>Linux version 1.3.59
>IBM Token Ring Adapter 16/4 with Tropic Chipset

>The switches on my token ring card are:
>    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12
>    1  0  0  1  1  0  0  0  1  1  0  1
>    \______________/  \__/  |  \__/  |___ 16Mbps data rate
>            |           |   |    |________16Kb shared RAM paging
>     ROM addr:cc000     |   |_____________primary adapter
>                        |_________________interupt 2

>My boot up messages from the token ring driver are:
>tr0: ISA 16/4 Adapter/II found using irq 9, PIOaddr  a20,
>     0K shared RAM.
>tr0: Hardware address : 08:00:5A:72:44:4C
>tr0: Initial interrupt : shared RAM located at 00000000.
>tr0: Adapter initialized and opened.

On which system are you running the card ? I presume you have an PCI based
system. I have seen this problem before on PCI machines. The problems seems
to be related to the fact that the tokenring board uses shared memory to
communicate with the CPU. Most BIOSses I have seen have a setting "shared ISA
memory" . Set this to d000 size 16K. Does anyone know what this setting
exactly does ? Is there anyone who has the INTEL triton spec, so I could find
out why this problem occurs ?

Quote:>I created rc.inet1 using netconfig, and followed the directions
>in the network howto for forming my netmask address, broadcast
>address, etc.

>QUESTION 1:
>From the messages above, it looks as if the TR driver has
>installed properly, but why do these messages indicate 0K
>shared RAM located at 00000000?  Would this explain why I
>cannot ping to anywhere outside my machine?

Yes.

Quote:>QUESTION 2:
>I'm on a subnet, and when I run tcpip from DOS (which works
>fine, by the way) the address of my "default router" is printed on
>the screen.  I'm using this address as my gateway address in my
>rc.inet1 configuration file.  Is this correct?  Since I'm on a
>subnet, do I need to include addresses of machines on all networks
>that I pass through?

No.

Peter.

1. TOKEN RING? (unfortunately *IBM* Token Ring)

    I am on a Token Ring network. I have heard that the ka9q tcp/ip has
been ported and that socket support is in the works, and that there is
an Ethernet driver out there. I am wondering if there is also a Token
Ring driver out there already, or if one is being written. I've heard
that it wouldn't be impossible to write one, but I can't even begin to
think of doing it myself without low-level documentation (IBM charged
I'd rather not have to get the docs myself. Thanks IBM, for your fascist
policies, and for making life difficult. The documentation that came
with the card, if one could call it that, only told one how to load
tokreui, a DOS driver, and how to select what IRQ's and memory it uses,
no memory map of the card, etc.) Would any of the information on
low-level driving the card be available from the net, or could any of
you supply it so that if I do have to write a driver I can? Or would
that be illegal to supply (considering this is IBM, that wouldn't
surprise me too much). I'd really appreciate any help you can give,
since I *don't* want to have to use MS-LOSS in order to use the network.
(and for me a modem is *not* a viable option.)

    How hard would it be to actually write a driver? If someone or I
wrote or were to write such a beast, would they/I be allowed to make it
available to others, or would IBM have and exercise the legal right to
say that the author could only use it for his/her personal use?

    Also, I believe that 386BSD has networking stuff in it (I have no
idea if they support Token Ring, I haven't heard anything about that).
Maybe we should reuse some of that code in Linux, so that effort isn't
duplicated.

2. ps/2

3. Token ring ASB error

4. USB 2.0 CardBus Devices

5. Slow token ring?

6. daemon pppd

7. Any token ring cards work with Linux?

8. cc compiler

9. Linux & Token-Ring

10. token-ring patch,nettools installation step

11. Token Ring card on X86?

12. Madge token ring

13. RedHat 6.0 & Token Ring