How do you do multiple ISPs through PPP.

How do you do multiple ISPs through PPP.

Post by David Albrech » Mon, 28 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have a ppp dial in to work and a ppp dial in to my ISP.  For each
I want different domains to be searched and different name servers.
I can't put all the name servers in because the total is 5 while
resolv.conf supports only three.  In any case if I put three of
the name servers in and add all the domains I want to search as if
local when connected to both places then the performance sucks.

What I really want is for the ppp connection to add the name
servers and search domains when connecting and remove them
when disconnecting.  Wandering through the various guides hasn't
really informed me what the right way to do this is.

Before I upgraded  the linux I use I actually had
a script that linked to a different version of resolv.conf before
invoking pppd.  The latest resolver, however, doesn't seem to
check that resolv.conf has changed and re-init anymore so this
no longer works.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

How do you do multiple ISPs through PPP.

Post by Kent Overstree » Mon, 28 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I don't know enough about linux to know if this would work but I've done
stuff like this with dos/win31. Set up a different ppd script for each isp,
and add lines in each one to copy a custom resolv.conf, say from
resolv1.conf to resolv.conf.

How do you do multiple ISPs through PPP.

Post by Paul B. Bro » Mon, 28 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I don't know enough about linux to know if this would work but I've done
>stuff like this with dos/win31. Set up a different ppd script for each isp,
>and add lines in each one to copy a custom resolv.conf, say from
>resolv1.conf to resolv.conf.

It's all in the way you execute your pppd command.  pppd will look to see
if you are using ppp0 when it connects.  If it doesn't then ppp0 is used.
If it does then ppp1 is used and so on.  The trick is how to setup the
routing.  Only one can be your default gateway.  The other MUST be
dedicated to vairous ranges of IP addresses.  How are you going to handle
the routing?

Paul

President
Brown Technologies Network, Inc.       http://www.btechnet.com/

Unix Systems Administration            "Sailing is a state of mind . . . ."

Post by Jim » Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I don't know enough about linux to know if this would work but I've done
> stuff like this with dos/win31. Set up a different ppd script for each isp,
> and add lines in each one to copy a custom resolv.conf, say from
> resolv1.conf to resolv.conf.

ezppp will allow you to select the isp to dial. works great...

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. Faxing from Unix

3. Multiple ISPs with one Firewall and doing routing on select services

4. Gnome and xscreensaver error.

5. Sending email through multiple ISP's based on rules - can it be done?

6. Setting up linux on second master IDE

7. My ISP is doing Wierd Things (PPP)

8. what is Solaris Express?

9. Yggdrasil w/ SCSI drive thru DOS (?)

10. Problem doing remote mounts thru rsh

11. How to split large DOS file for downloading thru dialup?

12. ISP connection thru PPP

13. ? : Making PPP connection thru ISP