IP Masquerading and terrible performance ...

IP Masquerading and terrible performance ...

Post by Adam Pears » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have a simple setup (always is :-) I have one dual P100 with 32 MB Linux
RedHat 6.1 (stock) running 1.3.9 of ip chains attached to a cable modem via
a 3com509 ISA (10 Mbps - DHCP) and on the other an Adaptec 6911 PCI (100
Mbps - Static using 192.168.x.x.) connected to a 100 Mbps hub. I have two
Windows 98 machines (DHCP - 192.168.x.x) both connecting at 100 Mbps to the
hub. My problem is when I had the cable modem plugged in directly to one of
the Windows 98 boxes, I was averaging 300 KB/sec, once I put it on the dual
P100, I only got 120 KB/sec (this was tested over several days using the
same test methodology as the 300 KB/sec). Why would this be? Any
suggestions?

Post by Markus Wand » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>I have a simple setup (always is :-) I have one dual P100 with 32 MB Linux
>RedHat 6.1 (stock) running 1.3.9 of ip chains attached to a cable modem via
>a 3com509 ISA (10 Mbps - DHCP) and on the other an Adaptec 6911 PCI (100
>Mbps - Static using 192.168.x.x.) connected to a 100 Mbps hub. I have two
>Windows 98 machines (DHCP - 192.168.x.x) both connecting at 100 Mbps to the
>hub. My problem is when I had the cable modem plugged in directly to one of
>the Windows 98 boxes, I was averaging 300 KB/sec, once I put it on the dual
>P100, I only got 120 KB/sec (this was tested over several days using the
>same test methodology as the 300 KB/sec). Why would this be? Any
>suggestions?

Well, the first thing you should do is try to narrow down the problem area...

- are network transfers between the two Windows machines and the Linux
  box slow?  Test by ftp-ing a large file or something

- are network transfers between the Linux box and the internet fast?

- what sort of CPU load does the Linux box show while moving 120kbyte/sec
  of data?  ISA ethernet cards can cause CPU load, although I have a 486DX2/66
  with two 3C509s in it gatewaying a 1-meg ADSL connection with no problems.

Markus

1. IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP

Hello

I have a linux box which should work as router for two subnets to the internet.
One subnet has valid IP addresses but the other subnet with private IPs has to be masqueraded. Is it possible to masquerade this subnet with an IP address from the other subnet or with the IP of the router port which is connected to the valid subnet and not with the IP address of the router port which is connected to the internet which is the default?

regards
Klaus

2. IPSec vs L2TP

3. performance benchmarks with IP Masquerading

4. 3c509b and aha2940w conflict

5. ip-masquerade poor performance?

6. Research modular file systems matching concept

7. network performance of IP masqueraded machines

8. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 6 of 6)

9. IP Masquerade Performance

10. IP Masquerading performance problems

11. Performance Hit With IP Masquerading/Packet Filtering?

12. terrible slip performance

13. terrible Apache performance