SMC EtherEZ Interrupt Changes?

Post by Robert Heato » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

RH5 autodetected my EtherEZ card with Irq=10 which seems to clash with
my video card. Both card have DOS utilities for configuration because
there are no jumpers.

Is there a way to configure PnP cards without re-installing DOS?

Post by RHS Linux Use » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: RH5 autodetected my EtherEZ card with Irq=10 which seems to clash with
: my video card. Both card have DOS utilities for configuration because
: there are no jumpers.

: Is there a way to configure PnP cards without re-installing DOS?

One possibility is the 'pnptools' package.  I've never used it--I just have
a minimal DOS floppy with the EZSTART software on it.  My solution was to
disable the PNP feature on the EtherEZ.  Then it keeps the same params
no matter what the bios says.  I would assume you could do something similar
for the video card--YMMV.

Tom G.

Post by da-x » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> RH5 autodetected my EtherEZ card with Irq=10 which seems to clash with
> my video card. Both card have DOS utilities for configuration because
> there are no jumpers.

> Is there a way to configure PnP cards without re-installing DOS?

Clashes with your video card? wierd, try going into your bios and
disabling "vga uses irq"

Post by Dietmar Herrend?rfe » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>RH5 autodetected my EtherEZ card with Irq=10 which seems to clash with
>my video card. Both card have DOS utilities for configuration because
>there are no jumpers.

Have a look at the other postings. On top of that, check if your BIOS
can/does assign IRQs to the PnP cards when booting. Some newer BIOSes
come with a default setting for an PnP aware Operating System. Linux is
not PnP aware, unless you install additional tools.

Dietmar

--
Dietmar Herrend?rfer
Electronic Engineering Laboratory

1. SMC 83c795 (EtherEZ) and SMC Ultra driver

I'm trying to get an SMC EtherEZ card (83c795) to run under kernel 2.0.32.
I've made a kernel that has the SMC Ultra driver in it but it won't
recognize my card, even if I pass in the IRQ and I/O base from lilo.

The card is running on IRQ 11 and I/O 240.
I'm using a 486 SX/33 with Redhat 5, and there are no other cards in the
system (save the gfx card).

The Enternet-HOWTO mentioned some sort of SMC Ultra compatibility mode for
the EtherEZ cards, but I can't find a jumper on the card, I have no
documentation, and no software to configure it. (thanks to those PnP
bastards)

Any ideas?

2. (no subject)

3. SMC EtherEZ 8416

4. Installing DOS 6.0 and Linux

5. SMC EtherEZ

6. problems with /usr/sbin/nmbd

7. SMC EtherEZ 1211TX card

8. browser-Apache slow in LAN

9. SMC EtherEZ support ?

10. SMC EtherEZ problems

11. Conflict between SMC EtherEZ and Adaptec 2940?

12. smc etherez 8146

13. SMC EtherEZ Ethernet 8020 pcmcia