newbie: Permissions for groups

Post by Bria » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

newbie: Permissions for groups
Hi

We have a drawing office with 7 users running Win98, all accessing a range
of directories with in one share on Linux RedHat 6.0. The problem comes when
they edit a file, someone else with in the group has created, it's read
only.
I have put these users in their own group "drawing".
How do I give permissions to the drawing group to enable them to overwrite
the files without changing ownership every time?
They all need access to all the files within the share to:
1) Create
2) Save
3) Overwrite

Is this possible?
if so:
What is the command line?

Users running Win98 / Acad
Server running RedHat 6.0

If possible please reply via e-mail
Thank You in advance

Brian Kearsey
Johannesburg
South Africa

newbie: Permissions for groups

Post by Martin Frie » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi!

Have you smba installed? Or how do the winmachines conect to the Server?
If you have samba then you have to add new users
"/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a [username]" (for example) edit the
"/etc/smb.conf" file. And then restart samba "killall -1 smbd". If you
need and example of the smbd.conf file then send an email back. Ill
send you one then.

Martin
--
Martin Fries
InnNet GmbH Internet-Services

1. newbie: Permissions for groups

[...]

2. Mad16 / Opti 82C924 / miro PCM12 Rev.E

3. Newbie Q: Groups/Permissions/Httpd - SLIGHT RUSH!!!

4. egrep and regular expressions

5. File group permissions - applicable to a particular group user only possible??

6. Module Problem with iBCS2

7. permissions & group members of groups with Sol 2.6

8. Solaris 8 /x86 Windows File Sharing

9. Do group permissions always override permissions for other (both more and less restrictive)?

10. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

11. grouping a group to a group?

12. Keeping groups, groups and groups straight

13. GROUPS CONTAINING OTHER GROUPS (/etc/group)