NIS setup question

Post by Borries Demel » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a number of linux hosts that I would like to connect with NIS.

I got the ypserv program running fine on linux box 1, but when I try to
login to linux box 2, the passwords do not work. As root, on box 2,
I can however successfully run "ypcat passwd" and I see the password file
from linux box 1 just fine. ypwhich returns the correct server name
from linux box 1, and domainname returns the same domainname, in case
you wondered.

What am I missing here??

Thanks for any pointers...

-Borries

NIS setup question

Post by Thorsten Kuk » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: Hello,

: I have a number of linux hosts that I would like to connect with NIS.

: I got the ypserv program running fine on linux box 1, but when I try to
: login to linux box 2, the passwords do not work. As root, on box 2,
: I can however successfully run "ypcat passwd" and I see the password file
: from linux box 1 just fine. ypwhich returns the correct server name
: from linux box 1, and domainname returns the same domainname, in case
: you wondered.

Does finger user works on box 2 ?
The last line in /etc/passwd should contain only a "+".
If you use something like +::0:0::::, do not put a * in the
password field, this will overwrite the password.

--

                http://www-vt.uni-paderborn.de/~kukuk
It's not too late to turn back from the "Gates" of Hell...

NIS setup question

Post by Laurentiu Bade » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I have a number of linux hosts that I would like to connect with NIS.

> I got the ypserv program running fine on linux box 1, but when I try to
> login to linux box 2, the passwords do not work. As root, on box 2,
> I can however successfully run "ypcat passwd" and I see the password file
> from linux box 1 just fine. ypwhich returns the correct server name
> from linux box 1, and domainname returns the same domainname, in case
> you wondered.

> What am I missing here??

> Thanks for any pointers...

Maybe you missed the +::0:0::: line in passwd, as I recall
you had to do for NIS.

But I'd suggest getting rid of NIS and use ssh+rdist instead,
for obvious reasons. (besides (in)security, you don't want all your
machines to hang waiting for the NIS server to respond when it
is down, do you?).

Laurentiu

| student at PUB,                                                   |
| Computer Science Dept.       http://www2.lmn.pub.ro/~byte/        |

1. NIS Setup questions

Greetings

I am trying to properly setup an NIS client
on a secondary Linux machine. I have been
successful in setting up the NIS server.
I have the NIS howto. In section 7.2 of
this howto, it says to put "+::::::" at
the end of my password file. What does
"+::::::" do? Does it make the client
system automatically look to the NIS
server for its authentication? I would
like to better understand this.

When a person logs on to their system, does
the system first look in the /etc/passwd file
for the user name, shell, and home directory
info; then it goes and looks in the
/etc/shadow file for the password. Am I thinking
correctly here?

I believe that I will have to setup NFS shares
so that I can have access to my home directory
from any where on my little LAN. Am I thinking
correctly here?

My way of thinking is that NIS is to make
authenication across a LAN uniform.
Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Once I better understand the above items
better I should be able to include a Sparc
Station IPX, running Solaris 7, into my LAN.
--

Thanks
Walter L. Williams

2. On Flux Box, Is there a way to make a window always on top?

3. NIS setup questions

4. PCI-Herc video working???

5. NIS+ Setup question

6. Diamond Video Card Support?

7. Howto setup secure rpc without using nis/nis+

8. HELP: XF86Config for Mirage Storm 1600 & Sony GDM 1961

9. nis(not nis+) on solaris2.1 and its setup.

10. NIS or NIS + setup

11. New NIS setup: A couple of Questions

12. NIS/YP client setup question

13. NIS+ domain setup question