NFS Problems (Mac OS X client and RedHat 8.0 server)

NFS Problems (Mac OS X client and RedHat 8.0 server)

Post by StinkyDies » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 22:47:07

I've been having such a problem getting NFS to work with my RedHat 8.0
server and my OS X client.

Here is what I've exported in /etc/exports
/home/foo/share    *(rw,sync,all_squash,anonuid=501,anongid=100)

I've made sure that the firewall on the server is not running by
doing:
service iptables stop

The command that I'm using to mount from my Mac is:
mount_nfs server:/home/foo/share /Users/bar/mnt

The response that I'm getting on the client is:
mount_nfs: /Users/bar/mnt: RPC prog. not avail

And the server log shows:
Feb 26 21:47:38 localhost rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
192.168.123.121:1015 for /home/foo/share (/home/foo/share)

Does that me that the mount worked from a servers prospective?  The
client doesn't think that its mounted.

Is this a server problem or a client problem?  I'm thinking that it is
a client problem.  I don't know too much about OS X and I'm not sure
what exact service I need runing before doing the mount command.

I've looked into portmap and I'm just getting frustrated because I've
been trying to do this for two weeks.  I can't seems to find any posts
on the web that relate to this issue.

If you have any information it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Stinky

Post by enri.. » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 00:39:55

> I've been having such a problem getting NFS to work with my RedHat 8.0
> server and my OS X client.

> Here is what I've exported in /etc/exports
> /home/foo/share    *(rw,sync,all_squash,anonuid=501,anongid=100)

> I've made sure that the firewall on the server is not running by
> doing:
> service iptables stop

> The command that I'm using to mount from my Mac is:
> mount_nfs server:/home/foo/share /Users/bar/mnt

> The response that I'm getting on the client is:
> mount_nfs: /Users/bar/mnt: RPC prog. not avail

> And the server log shows:
> Feb 26 21:47:38 localhost rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from
> 192.168.123.121:1015 for /home/foo/share (/home/foo/share)

> Does that me that the mount worked from a servers prospective?  The
> client doesn't think that its mounted.

> Is this a server problem or a client problem?  I'm thinking that it is
> a client problem.  I don't know too much about OS X and I'm not sure
> what exact service I need runing before doing the mount command.

> I've looked into portmap and I'm just getting frustrated because I've
> been trying to do this for two weeks.  I can't seems to find any posts
> on the web that relate to this issue.

> If you have any information it would be greatly appriciated.

> Thanks,

> Stinky

Perhaps ethereal can give you exact information on what is going on.

The "RPC prog. not avail" sounds like a portmapper problem. You could
use rpcinfo to check registrations. However, the server log entry
suggests the portmapper is working correctly, so it's confusing.

I haven't used NFS for many years now, so don't expect too much from
my poor memory...

Regards, Enrique

Post by Silly m » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 05:34:23

> The response that I'm getting on the client is:
> mount_nfs: /Users/bar/mnt: RPC prog. not avail

I'm getting the same sort of error.  Search this newsgroup looking for
"silly me" and you'll find several posts on it.  Sometimes it is a
firewall setting, but not in my case.

See my posts about running rpcinfo.

1. NFS Problems (Mac OS X client and RedHat 8.0 server)

[...]

2. UNIX Sites

3. Problem with NFS mount from Solaris server to Mac OS X client

4. bill gates interview

5. Linux NFS server to Mac OS X Client

6. Enterprise Wide Backup - Epoch vs ArcServe vs Legato

7. OS/2 NFS client and Linux NFS Server help needed

8. Zsh -- one problem down, one more to go

9. OS/2 NFS Client and Linux NFS Server?

10. DNS Problems on RedHat 8.0: Linux client, Windows DHCP server

11. NFS bug in the new kernels (was Re: NFS with Redhat 6 server and clients)

12. NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

13. MAC OS 9, MAC OS X and linuxppc 2000