root ownership randomly

Post by Gilbert Souc » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

We have a few linux systems running redhat 5.2 in a
net composed also of SGI and SUN workstation. The linux
boxes export their files to every machines on the net.
When working on a remote system, a normal user has created
a few times files or directories owned by root (this
user does not know the super user password) on the
filesystems managed by linux.

I have no idea why this is happening and how this
can be fixed. Is it linked to the way I export
the filesystems? I don't think this has
happened when working locally on the linux box. Any idea?

I am exporting with no_root_squash and this is fine
on our trusted network. The user in question is not superuser
and is well-intentionned. I suspect a bug in NFS. Maybe
I did not search well enough but all the nfs packages
I find are beta (2.2beta)? Where can I find a non-beta
package (or why isn't there a non-beta package) ?

1. root ownership randomly

We have a few linux systems running redhat 5.2 in a
net composed also of SGI and SUN workstation. The linux
boxes export their files to every machines on the net.
When working on a remote system, a normal user has created
a few times files or directories owned by root (this
user does not know the super user password) on the
filesystems managed by linux.

I have no idea why this is happening and how this
can be fixed. Is it linked to the way I export
the filesystems? I don't think this has
happened when working locally on the linux box. Any idea?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. anonymous mail

3. Multithreaded app randomly quits as non-root

4. Can't switch shells on FreeBSD 4.4

5. user ownership and group ownership

6. Linksys Etherfast 10/100 probs

7. Cron won't chown file with root ownership,help!

8. Pass character to a program?

9. Root can't take ownership of a file (REPOST)

10. root setuid script cannot change ownership

11. root ownership

12. root unable to change file ownership

13. SAMBA Q: file ownership is root even with force user = %U