CABLE MODEM CONNECTION

Post by mani2 » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:51:48

I have a DIGI-5500TX fast ethernet adapter ,which also happens to be
the card used for the cable connection. However, I am unable to setup
the adapter with Linux. With the DIGI-5500 TX , I do have its drivers
for Linux. That still does not work. Is there any other way out ?

Thanks in advance

CABLE MODEM CONNECTION

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:44:28

Hi!,

Quote:> I have a DIGI-5500TX fast ethernet adapter ,which also happens to be
> the card used for the cable connection. However, I am unable to setup
> the adapter with Linux. With the DIGI-5500 TX , I do have its drivers
> for Linux. That still does not work. Is there any other way out ?

What sort of behaviour are you getting ?, are you able to compile the driver
without any problems, when you insert the driver into your /etc/modules.conf
file, does the network card show up when the system boots ?

Is the card, identified, initialised but then not appear to be transmitting
anything ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

CABLE MODEM CONNECTION

Post by Rod Smit » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:15:36

> I have a DIGI-5500TX fast ethernet adapter ,which also happens to be
> the card used for the cable connection. However, I am unable to setup
> the adapter with Linux. With the DIGI-5500 TX , I do have its drivers
> for Linux. That still does not work. Is there any other way out ?

Do you know what chipset your card uses? There are so many
manufacturers, most of whom use one of just a dozen or so popular
chipsets, that the chipset manufacturer is far more important than the
card manufacturer. Try reading markings on the biggest chip on the
board for some clues.

Linux includes drivers for most popular Ethernet chipsets, so once you
know what chipset your board uses, you should be able to find something
appropriate. Using drivers that ship with the board might or might not
work, depending upon the driver version included with the board and
whether or not that driver version works well with your kernel. Some
distributions will auto-detect the board, but others require you to
edit files like /etc/modules.conf.

If you post again, please provide a more precise description of the
problem than "it does not work." We need to know what you've tried
doing, what error messages you see, what symptoms you see (for
instance, lights on the card, hub, or cable modem blinking or not
blinking), etc. Also, try posting the output of the command "ifconfig
eth0".

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration