Linux machine drops internet after a few minutes

Linux machine drops internet after a few minutes

Post by Matt Stevenso » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi, I'm using a RedHat 5.0 Linux box with 80megs ram and a 3COM 3C509 NIC.
The problem is, after a few minutes I loose my ability to go out on the
internet.  Internal ip addresses still work (as in, I can telnet to other
machines on my IP network) but I can't go out on the net (not even ping)
which I'm guessing is because for some reason it can't get to our gateway
(although I can ping it!)  The interesting thing is, if I reboot the
machine, I can again get out onto the net.. but within a few minutes, I
can't get out! (ping will report "Network Unreachable"

The other thing I thought it could be is something wrong with our network as
a whole, but the NT box sitting next to my Linux machine works fine, and can
always get out on the net.  What the heck could the problem be?  This
machine has been fine up until the last week or so, with nothing changed at
all!

Thanks,

Matt Stevenson
please EMAIL replies! (our Newsfeed isn't so hot)  :)

Post by Brian McCaule » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi, I'm using a RedHat 5.0 Linux box with 80megs ram and a 3COM 3C509 NIC.
> The problem is, after a few minutes I loose my ability to go out on the
> internet.  Internal ip addresses still work (as in, I can telnet to other
> machines on my IP network) but I can't go out on the net (not even ping)
> which I'm guessing is because for some reason it can't get to our gateway
> (although I can ping it!)  The interesting thing is, if I reboot the
> machine, I can again get out onto the net.. but within a few minutes, I
> can't get out! (ping will report "Network Unreachable"

Sounds like your routing daemon is deleteing your default route.  The
"right" thing to do is to configure your routing daemon correctly.
The easy thing to do is not to have one.

Linux machine drops internet after a few minutes

Post by Jud » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

We had the same problem. Our solution was 2part.
To maintain connectivity after rebooting,
deactivate and then reactivate eth0,
(I used the networking item in the control panel, under the third
tab, if I recall.)
Then upgrade the kernel.

On 19 Feb 1998 18:09:03 +0000, Brian McCauley

>> Hi, I'm using a RedHat 5.0 Linux box with 80megs ram and a 3COM 3C509 NIC.
>> The problem is, after a few minutes I loose my ability to go out on the
>> internet.  Internal ip addresses still work (as in, I can telnet to other
>> machines on my IP network) but I can't go out on the net (not even ping)
>> which I'm guessing is because for some reason it can't get to our gateway
>> (although I can ping it!)  The interesting thing is, if I reboot the
>> machine, I can again get out onto the net.. but within a few minutes, I
>> can't get out! (ping will report "Network Unreachable"

>Sounds like your routing daemon is deleteing your default route.  The
>"right" thing to do is to configure your routing daemon correctly.
>The easy thing to do is not to have one.

1. PPP link drop after few minutes

Scenerio:
     I'm connecting to a unix server via PPP link from windows95/98
     having SCO openserver version 5.0.0b
     wth Interl network Drivers ver 1.4.3
     and with patches
     SCO Openserver release 5 supplement ver 5.0.0c
     SCO Openserver release 5 supplement version 5.0.0d (ver rs.oss500.1.0.a)
     Network Supplement Release 1.0 for SCO openserver (ver rs.oss500.2.0.a)
     OSS449F: Network Maintenance Supplement (Ver OSS449F)

Problem:
     PPP link drop after connection few minutes (let say 10 minutes.) without
     showing any error.

     I already made entry in ppphosts for idle="forever" to force default setting.
     but the connection drop while it is not idle.

2. how to suppress output to screen

3. Please suggest "best" FreeBSD workstation <= $4000

4. Linux ISP connection cuts out after a few minutes

5. NO IEEE-1284 DEVICE PRESENT

6. Why do my Linux systems touch the disk every few minutes?

7. Alternative to "viral" for GPL

8. DNS on Linux box fails from WinXP client after a few minutes.

9. connect a linux machine to the internet via internet connection sharing

10. Using My Linux Machine as an Internet Gateway for my W95/NT Machines

11. Route Linux Machine through Warp Machine to Internet ?

12. Automount waits a few minutes at boot time