Errors from lockd and statd: what do they mean?

Errors from lockd and statd: what do they mean?

Post by Kai Gro?joha » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:19:03

Every once in a while, I get these messages from syslog:

/----
| Apr 17 19:28:37 lucy /sbin/rpc.statd[474]: Attempt to register callback to service 16
| Apr 17 19:28:37 lucy /sbin/rpc.statd[474]: STAT_FAIL to 127.0.0.1 for SM_MON of 129.217.20.159
| Apr 17 19:28:37 lucy kernel: lockd: cannot monitor 129.217.20.159
\----

What do they mean?

I guess the last one means that lockd cannot talk to 129.217.20.159.
I'm not surprised as that is a Solaris machine (lucy is Debian/potato
ix86, running a 2.2.19 kernel), and I've figured out that file locking
via NFS is a problem.

I'm running the userland nfs daemon.

But what do the other messages mean?

Btw, is there any chance for me to get file locking via NFS working
between Linux and Solaris?  I'd really like to have that.  I would go
to a 2.4 kernel, and I would go to kernel nfs, but only if there is
hope that this helps.  My recent forays into kernel-land nfs were not
so promising at all -- other Linux machines still running user-land
nfs were unable to mount my file systems.

Why is file locking important to me?  Well, /var/mail lives on a
partition mounted via NFS from a Solaris machine (don't ask).
Therefore, I'd really like to have file locking with Solaris as server
and Linux as client.  And the only machine with outside connectivity
is a Solaris machine which mounts my home dir from a Linux machine,
and ncftp wants to lock a file in my home dir.  That's the (much less
important) reason I'd like file locking with Linux as server and
Solaris as client.

tia,
kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

Errors from lockd and statd: what do they mean?

Post by Martin Cook » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 05:34:57

If having the mail spool mounted over NFS is necessary, see
the "Using sendmail in a NFS safe way - Mini-Howto" at:

http://www.clubi.ie/~ross/sendmail-maildir.html

It looks like DJB's maildir is only safe way to go.

Martin

Quote:> Every once in a while, I get these messages from syslog:

1. NFS/statd Error: rpc.statd: 1831-115 cannot talk to statd at tps.tenetphy.com

On our console we get this error: rpc.statd:  1831-115 cannot talk to
statd at tps.domain.com

Now I checked the man pages and it says this is related to NFS which
we do use on specific boxes.  Any ideas on what this is and how I can
fix it?
Thanks
Cliff

2. urgent: kernel panik

3. udp cache errors from lockd,statd

4. eth1 => SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid argument

5. Lockd/statd error?

6. Help, PPP over ISDN

7. statd and lockd

8. How to use Printer

9. RPC.LOCKD cannot contact RPC.STATD. HELP!!

10. lockd and statd

11. Looking for lockd statd info

12. NFS lockd/statd?

13. NFS: lockd/statd working ?!