Network problem in RH 8.0, eth0, adsl

Post by Mamata Des » Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:43:06

Hi,

I have a PC with winXP and redhat 8.0. I have a DSL connection from
Verizon. My network card works perfectly in winXP, and until recently,
worked like a charm, out of the box, from my linux OS too.

Today, out of the blue, it stops working. The boot message says:
---------
Determining IP information for eth0...
---------
At this point, it always used to fail, not able to bring up eth0 at
this time, but now it gives me this message:
---------
Determining IP information for eth0... failed; no link present. Check
cable?
---------
It works in winXP, so the cable is definitely working! Since my ppp0

earlier. Now it gives me an error:
---------

Quote:>/dev/null 2>&1

---------

Could someone help me figure out what's going wrong, and how I can
diagnose the problem ?

TIA,
Mamata

Network problem in RH 8.0, eth0, adsl

Post by Mamata Des » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 03:32:29

Hello people,

Me posting a followup to my own message. I tried a few things: When I
allocate a static IP to the n/w card, eth0 comes up. Its the DHCP that
doesn't work. I sniffed on eth0 and realized no replies come to my
DHCP requests. RedHat support said there is a known bug in the DHCP
client.

Yesterday, Verizon had a problem in the CA area, in the morning, for
about half an hr, I believe. After this "problem", my linux box
managed to communicate and get an IP address! I was thrilled. I
up2dated my system too, and well, there was an update on dhclient and
dhcp, both of which, I applied.

Today morning, I boot into linux, same story!! eth0 report a "Check
cable?" !! My repost today, to find out if anyone else in California,
with Verizon DSL, RedHat 8.0, experiencing this problem ?

Any help will be appreciated. Here's an excerpt from my
/var/log/messages:
Mar 20 10:18:34 sapphire ifup: Determining IP information for eth0...
Mar 20 10:18:39 sapphire ifup:  failed; no link present.  Check cable?
Mar 20 10:18:39 sapphire network: Bringing up interface eth0:  failed
Mar 20 10:18:40 sapphire pppd[628]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Mar 20 10:18:40 sapphire pppd[628]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
Mar 20 10:19:11 sapphire pppd[628]: Connection terminated.
Mar 20 10:19:15 sapphire pppoe[629]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Mar 20 10:19:15 sapphire adsl-connect: ADSL connection lost;
attempting re-connection.
Mar 20 10:19:20 sapphire pppd[684]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Mar 20 10:19:20 sapphire pppd[684]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
Mar 20 10:19:46 sapphire ifup: /sbin/adsl-start: line 217:   617
Terminated

Mar 20 10:19:46 sapphire network: Bringing up interface ppp0:  failed

TIA,
Mamata
--
http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~mamata

Post by aswh » Sun, 23 Mar 2003 06:12:36

> [...]

> > worked like a charm, out of the box, from my linux OS too.

> > Today, out of the blue, it stops working. The boot message says:
> > ---------
> > Determining IP information for eth0...
> > ---------
> > At this point, it always used to fail, not able to bring up eth0 at
> > this time, but now it gives me this message:
> > ---------
> > Determining IP information for eth0... failed; no link present. Check
> > cable?
> > ---------
> > It works in winXP, so the cable is definitely working! Since my ppp0

> > earlier. Now it gives me an error:
> > ---------

> > >/dev/null 2>&1
> > ---------

> > Could someone help me figure out what's going wrong, and how I can

i had problems with DHCP client to so i removed it and installed from
redhat7.3 the dhcpcd-1.3.22pl1-7

no problems now

1. Mysterious eth0 on RH 8.0

I'm trying to hook up a cable connection to a brand new Redhat Linux 8.0 box.
My cable people have given me an IP address & I can activate my ethernet card
with the IP addr., subnet mask & default gateway.  But, I'm unable to ping the
default gateway address & connect to the outside.  I've turned off the firewall
completely.

The Redhat installation support, in their infinite wisdom, tell me that my
card, SiS900
is not supported & I need another card or need to update the drivers.  Doing an
lsmod  shows the card.  And, a week ago the shop from where I bought the
machine
was able to connect to the outside.  They had a router.

Finally, I don't know if this is relevant , I know the IP address is good
because I'm
using it on a Win '98 machine with this cable connection, that is, when I not
playing
with it on the Linux box.

Any idea(s) to remedy my cluelessness?  Can I only solve this with a router?

Thanks very much.

Damo Nair

2. setting up an FTP server

3. RH 8.0, eth0 "Inactive"

4. Linux news server

5. RH 7.2 Network Setup Problem - eth0 FAILED - Please Help

6. Nice words about Linux in "Performance Computing"

7. ADSL, eth0 + eth1, and behind local network configuration

8. key configuration & bash/readline

9. problems in upgrading from RH 7.2 to RH 8.0

10. Problems with internet connection (through eth0 and ADSL)

11. Warnings from redhat-config-network on RH 8.0

12. RH 8.0 "redhat-config-network" errors ??

13. Network set up help - RH 8.0