wvdial and virgin.net not getting together

wvdial and virgin.net not getting together

Post by lar » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:17:21

Has anyone had any grief connecting a linux box to *.net?

I have a setup with wvdial that worked a few months ago.
I haven't used it since. I tried again last night.

It dialled up, got the name and password prompts,
then the * server gave a message like
"available commands: list, help"
instead of starting the PPP session.

I checked the password using Win98. It hasn't changed.
The messages file jst says that the PPP session was not established.
The * help http://www.*.net/member_help/000050.htm says you
can use linux but they don't support it.

What is going on?

Thanks for your help,
Larg

Post by Clifford Kit » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:03:13

> Has anyone had any grief connecting a linux box to *.net?
> I have a setup with wvdial that worked a few months ago.
> I haven't used it since. I tried again last night.
> It dialled up, got the name and password prompts,
> then the * server gave a message like
> "available commands: list, help"
> instead of starting the PPP session.

The PPP implementation at the ISP may have changed.  Wvdial uses it's
own dial-in code to make the modem-to-ISP connection and may be frozen,
i.e., can't be changed (I looked at wvdial code a long time ago but
don't use diald).  If the ISP sees a carriage return at the beginning
of the connection then it may switch modes and give you the menu.

In that case eliminating the carriage return may be all that is needed,
something that can be done with the chat program.

You might try to roll your own by using pppd and chat.  There is
a script in ppp-secrets.gz at http://www.veryComputer.com/~kite/ that
includes instructions for it's use and should be easily adaptable
for most people.

A good site for understanding and debugging pppd and chat connections is

http://www.veryComputer.com/

--

/* For every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill.
                -- R. Clopton */