Named not listening to UDP port 53

Post by Matt Murdoc » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Over the past few weeks, we have been having problems with our RedHat
4.0 box.  Apparently, named is NOT removing packets from the recieve
queue on UDP port 53.  When the problem is*reported, the ps list
contains a "request-route" process in zombie, and several ipop3d
processes running (due to a machine on the network running active copies
of Netscape mail).  For some reason, named seems to spontaineously
refuse to listen.  Restarting named clears UDP port 53, but named will
not resume proper operation; packets continue to pile up on UDP port
53.  Only a full shutdown and reboot seems to solve the problem.
However, proper operation only lasts for between 3 and 5 days, at which
point the packets again pile up on the port.  We used to get runtimes in
excess of months.

I have tried upgrading to kernel 2.0.30, assuming it was a kernel
problem.  This did not have any appreciable effect.  All I seem to be
able to do is reboot the machine on a regular basis, but this is NOT an
acceptable solution.  Can anybody help?  Has this happened to anybody
else?

Thank you.

Matt Murdock

1. DNS Server not able to listen on UDP port 53 over IPv6

Hi,

I'm running Gentoo Linux (2007.0/AMD64) . I've configured pdnsd on
my box to listen on UDP port 53 on IPv6 wildcard address. But when I
start, it says UDP over IPv6 support not available. I straced it, and
following lines look interesting to me:

---->8---->8----
socket(PF_INET6, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_UDP) = 5
setsockopt(5, SOL_IP, IP_PKTINFO, [1], 4) = 0
setsockopt(5, SOL_IPV6, IPV6_PKTINFO, [1], 4) = -1 ENOPROTOOPT (Protocol not available)
----8<----8<----

I'm running Linux kernel (custom compiled) version 2.6.22-hardened-r8.
It's able to listen on TCP port 53 on wildcard address, but no UDP
connectivity at all.

Can anyone tell me what'll the problem ?

TIA
--
Ashish Shukla ???? ?????                      http://wahjava.wordpress.com/
-- - --- - - - --- -- -- - - --- -- --- --

2. Telnet

3. djbdns not listening on port 53

4. Dial up Linux !

5. tcp 53 and udp 53

6. New WABI 2.1 ships July

7. System keeps sending UDP port 53

8. Ethernet errors - Do these number look right?

9. port udp 53 help

10. snort and port 53 <-> 53 false positives

11. apache listen to port 80, another standalone apache+modssl listen port 443, not working..?!

12. Questions on the purpose of port 53 "domain port" and 6013

13. purpose of port 53 "domain port"