Help Help Help PLEASE

Post by Robert J. Schweiker » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Well,

I have put myself in a wonderfull awkward position. I finally scrapt
enough mula together to build the system to meet my dreams and now
due to some silly mistake I am cut-off from the outside world with my
new and wonderfull toy.

First of all I made the silly mistake of buying a Plug and Play PCI
modem, which as I understand it from the Modem HOTO is useless?
Any comments on how to address this problem are welcome.

So with the modem being out for now my second option to connect to the
rest of the world is the Ethernet card I put in, that's an ISA card.
Trying to find my way through the many Networking HOWTO's however I got
lost. So here is the basic deal.

I have my old machine, which is supposed to run Windows NT for my wife's
sake, but it can run Linux if need be, then I have my new machine, only
Linux installed there, and I refuse to getting in corrupted with the
other OS. I have a hub and an ethernet card in both machines.

Where would I start to a.) setup a network between these two machines,
I've read a lot but am totally confused.
                                       b.) setup my new Linux machine
such that once I get the PnP modem working, or break down and confess
that I
                                            have to buy a new one, that
my connection between the two machines will still work and I can use the
modem
                                            to dial up to my ISP.

Any help is appreciated. I am not totally uninitiated, but if anyone can
provide a rough step by step outline that would be great.

Thanks,
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert

Help Help Help PLEASE

Post by Zoltan Pittne » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have my old machine, which is supposed to run Windows NT for my wife's
> sake, but it can run Linux if need be, then I have my new machine, only
> Linux installed there, and I refuse to getting in corrupted with the
> other OS. I have a hub and an ethernet card in both machines.

> Where would I start to a.) setup a network between these two machines,
> I've read a lot but am totally confused.

You need to run SAMBA. You can find all you need to configure it in the SMB
how-to or in the /usr/doc/samba xxxx directory. - where xxx is the version
number.

Read the documentation, and you'll be able to get the two machines up in a
Microsoft network if you wish in a Workgroup or even in a Domain. The comm.
protocol will be TCP/IP, you will need to set up a private network with
let's say the following addresses:

    Linux IP: 192.168.0.1
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0

    NT IP: 192.168.0.2
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0

b.)
If the Linux connects to the internet through a modem, you will have to
enable the IP forwarding and on the NT so set up the gateway to point to
192.168.0.1 (Linux IP)

You can also set up the NT to dial out and use that connection from the
Linux, this way the gateway on Linux will be 192.168.0.2 (NT IP) and the ip
forwarding ewnabled on the NT.

Zoltan.

Help Help Help PLEASE

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have put myself in a wonderfull awkward position. I finally scrapt
>enough mula together to build the system to meet my dreams and now
>due to some silly mistake I am cut-off from the outside world with my
>new and wonderfull toy.

>First of all I made the silly mistake of buying a Plug and Play PCI
>modem, which as I understand it from the Modem HOTO is useless?
>Any comments on how to address this problem are welcome.

Apparently you are misinformed.  PNP modems work fine with Linux using
isapnp.  What do not work are Winmodems that rely on Windows only drivers
and your system RAM.

I think the isapnp package is called isapnptool, which includes isapnp and
pnpdump.  You 'pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf' and then edit that to uncomment
the port and irq.  If irq is non-standard, you might also need a setserial
line in /etc/rc.serial to tell Linux what it is.

Quote:>So with the modem being out for now my second option to connect to the
>rest of the world is the Ethernet card I put in, that's an ISA card.
>Trying to find my way through the many Networking HOWTO's however I got
>lost. So here is the basic deal.

Covered in another post.

http://thunder.prohosting.com/~cv-elgin/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. HELP HELP HELP PLEASE HELP

I am having a problem getting my password file to synchronize with
samba. I can input users into the main user menu but they don't sync
with samba. Then I manually input users into smbpasswd [that works
fine] but that screws up my passwd and or user file and I'm no longer
able to add new users.
Any ideas about how to fix this or what to diffrently when i
re-install
thanks

2. Please help me download "jdk1.1.6.V98-7-21.tar.gz"

3. Uanble to boot with LINUX boot disk - new user - help help help, PLEASE !!

4. Calculator?

5. help help help please!

6. Flame Warriors

7. help help help please!!

8. vim PGDN oddity

9. Uanble to boot with LINUX boot disk - new user - help help help, PLEASE !!

10. cdu31a-cdu31a-cdu31a-cdu31a-cdu31a HELP HELP HELP please :-)

11. Help, Help, Help please...

12. help help help help please! i am completely stuck!

13. help help help help! please!