Network Problem (DEC Chip 21041)

Post by kama » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi

I installed RedHat 4.2 Linux (2.0.30) on the following hardware:
P166
main board ASUS TX97
64 MB RAM
SB AWE64 sound card

DEC chip 21041 network card
IDE HDD and CD-ROM

I am having problems connecting to the network, or more precisely I have
a problem connecting to my network card. I have gone through all the
documentation (HOWTO and FAQ), but still no joy.

Here is what I have tried:

1. When running dmesg, there is no trace of any eth0 entries.
2. When looking in /proc/pci I can see that the network card is detected
with a IRQ = 11 and I/O = 0xd400
3. I recompiled my kernel to include only my network card (ie 21041)
4. I tried suggested LILO: linux ether=11,0xd400,eth0
5. /dev/eth0 still not present

Anyone with some ideas that might solve my problem???
Let me know if you need any additional info that migh shine more light
on the problem.

Thanks for your help

Mac

Post by Trever Adam » Mon, 22 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi

> I installed RedHat 4.2 Linux (2.0.30) on the following hardware:
> P166
> main board ASUS TX97
> 64 MB RAM
> SB AWE64 sound card

> DEC chip 21041 network card
> IDE HDD and CD-ROM

Try getting the latest tulip driver from Donald Becker's site.  I think the
one you want is v0.83. http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html

That should help.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trever Adams

http://www.onramp.net/~arabian/silent.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good."
        ~C.S. Lewis

Pursuant to USC 47, there is a $500 per incident charge for each
and every piece of Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE) sent to this or
any of my other addresses.  Sending UCE's to any of my addresses
implies general acceptance of these terms.

Post by Konstantinos Agour » Mon, 22 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hi
>I installed RedHat 4.2 Linux (2.0.30) on the following hardware:
>P166
>main board ASUS TX97
>64 MB RAM
>SB AWE64 sound card

>DEC chip 21041 network card
>IDE HDD and CD-ROM
>I am having problems connecting to the network, or more precisely I have
>a problem connecting to my network card. I have gone through all the
>documentation (HOWTO and FAQ), but still no joy.
>Here is what I have tried:
>1. When running dmesg, there is no trace of any eth0 entries.
>2. When looking in /proc/pci I can see that the network card is detected
>with a IRQ = 11 and I/O = 0xd400
>3. I recompiled my kernel to include only my network card (ie 21041)
>4. I tried suggested LILO: linux ether=11,0xd400,eth0
>5. /dev/eth0 still not present

did you try an ifconfig -a ?
devices in the /dev-directory have to be created by hand, but I don't have an
/dev/eth0 either and my network works just fine.

Hope that helps,

Konstantin
--

Otkerstr. 28, 81547 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185
"Captain, this ship will not sustain the forming of the cosmos." B'Elana Torres

Post by Richard A Lou » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hi
>I installed RedHat 4.2 Linux (2.0.30) on the following hardware:
>P166
>main board ASUS TX97
>64 MB RAM
>SB AWE64 sound card

>DEC chip 21041 network card
>IDE HDD and CD-ROM
>I am having problems connecting to the network, or more precisely I have
>a problem connecting to my network card. I have gone through all the
>documentation (HOWTO and FAQ), but still no joy.
>Here is what I have tried:
>1. When running dmesg, there is no trace of any eth0 entries.
>2. When looking in /proc/pci I can see that the network card is detected
>with a IRQ = 11 and I/O = 0xd400
>3. I recompiled my kernel to include only my network card (ie 21041)
>4. I tried suggested LILO: linux ether=11,0xd400,eth0
>5. /dev/eth0 still not present
>Anyone with some ideas that might solve my problem???
>Let me know if you need any additional info that migh shine more light
>on the problem.
>Thanks for your help
>Mac

Hi,

have you tried something like:
# route add default 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

check the NET3 HOWTO as this is from memory.

And AFAIK Linux does not create /dev/eth0 files

HTH

Richard A Lough

Network Problem (DEC Chip 21041)

Post by David Bukowsk » Fri, 26 Dec 1997 04:00:00

you had the same problem I had.  Recompile the Kernel for support for a
PCI ethernet card and then select the tulip (2something) card and then
recompile.  Then to initialize the card you need to
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask ${NETMASK}
or you can edit the above lines in ur /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 file
it took me 2 weeks to figure out it was a tulip card :)  hope that helps
you a bit.  have fun

> >Hi

> >I installed RedHat 4.2 Linux (2.0.30) on the following hardware:
> >P166
> >main board ASUS TX97
> >64 MB RAM
> >SB AWE64 sound card

> >DEC chip 21041 network card
> >IDE HDD and CD-ROM

> >I am having problems connecting to the network, or more precisely I have
> >a problem connecting to my network card. I have gone through all the
> >documentation (HOWTO and FAQ), but still no joy.

> >Here is what I have tried:

> >1. When running dmesg, there is no trace of any eth0 entries.
> >2. When looking in /proc/pci I can see that the network card is detected
> >with a IRQ = 11 and I/O = 0xd400
> >3. I recompiled my kernel to include only my network card (ie 21041)
> >4. I tried suggested LILO: linux ether=11,0xd400,eth0
> >5. /dev/eth0 still not present

> >Anyone with some ideas that might solve my problem???
> >Let me know if you need any additional info that migh shine more light
> >on the problem.

> >Thanks for your help

> >Mac

> Hi,

> have you tried something like:
> # route add default 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

> check the NET3 HOWTO as this is from memory.

> And AFAIK Linux does not create /dev/eth0 files

> HTH

> Richard A Lough

David B. Bukowski
irc.another.net:  davebb

http://131.156.111.8 (sts4b8.rhcl.niu.edu)
ftp://131.156.111.8 (sts4b8.rhcl.niu.edu)
administrator on TICS (internet chess server telnet 131.156.111.8 port 5000)
administrator on Dave's IRC server (/server 131.156.111.8 6667)
AnotherNet Help Staff member (irc.another.net)

1. Debian Etch, DEC 21041 NIC chip set

I'm planning on trying a Debian network install this weekend
so the network has to work.  The problem has been this chip.
  Some distributions detect it, but can't seem to configure
it correctly so there is no eth0 shown in ifconfig.  Others
show a eth0 card with a lot of errors.  Can anyone confirm
that Etch will detect and configure this card correctly (or
offer the how-to to make it work)? I have searched the net
and the Debian site and there is nothing specifically
mentioned about this chip, at least not in the last year.

Yes, I realize that for $15 I could replace the NIC, but
what's the fun in that?

Thanks,

2. XF86Setup

3. Driver for ethernet card with DEC 21041 Chip?

4. Linux menstrual calendar offensive to women -- americanDAILY.com

5. Q:SMC EtherPower 10baseT PCI, with a DEC 21041 chip

6. open file descriptors remain after threaded exit() in 2.5.44

7. DEC 21041 chip support with Kingston PCI ethernet

8. small doubt about fair-scheduler patch

9. DEC 21041 Network Card

10. DEC 21041 problem redhat 9

11. Problem with DEC 21041 based Ethernet card on ASUS PC

12. DEC 21041 (Tulip) Problems under RHL 5.0

13. help setting up SMC etherpower pci with a 21041 chip.