How do I bind two IP addresses to one card?

How do I bind two IP addresses to one card?

Post by Medway NHS Trus » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to bind two IP addresses to one card eth0 as follows;

eth0 is working with an address of 130.1.10.36 fine so what I'm doing is

ifconfig eth0:1 up 195.106.41.6

but, when I try pinging something in the 195 network I get a network
unobtainable message.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
--
Medway NHS Trust

How do I bind two IP addresses to one card?

Post by NWO 4 Lif » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

First type ifconfig by itself and make sure that the statement you tried
worked. You didn't provide the command to set up routing for the 195.106.41.XXX
network. Did you provide a route for this net. If not, use the route command
to do so. Good Luck.

Wally

: I'm trying to bind two IP addresses to one card eth0 as follows;

: eth0 is working with an address of 130.1.10.36 fine so what I'm doing is

: ifconfig eth0:1 up 195.106.41.6

: but, when I try pinging something in the 195 network I get a network
: unobtainable message.

: Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
: --
: Medway NHS Trust

Post by Medway NHS Trus » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>First type ifconfig by itself and make sure that the statement you tried
>worked. You didn't provide the command to set up routing for the 195.106.41.XXX
>network. Did you provide a route for this net. If not, use the route command
>to do so. Good Luck.

>Wally

Thanks!

It works now! I'd forgotten to add the route for the net!

--
Medway NHS Trust