Advice on how to make my network more efficient

Advice on how to make my network more efficient

Post by Edgar No » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:23:58

I have a network with the following two sub-networks:

Network 1 (private): Class C network:

    Server: Intel P4 processor, with Win2K Server (Active Directory is
installed and, I think, by means of it, accesses and permissions for
users and files are setup)

    The rest of the machines on this private network have OSs ranging
from Win95 to Win2000, and processors ranging from Pentium MMX to
P-III processsors. All Ethernet cards are of 100 MBps.

    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 for all of them

    All class C network machines communicate with each other through
an Encore 10BaseT switch.

Network 2: IP numbers of the form 182.168.xxx.xxx, which I think,
corresponds to public IP addresses.

    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

    All Network 2 machines communicate with each other through a
NetGear 100 BaseTX switch.

For the internet access, behind an ADSL modem/router, there is an
Intel P4 processor machine, with Linux Fedora Core 1 installed
(Bridge). This machine has 3 Ethernet cards whose IPs have been
configured manually:

eth0: 192.168.10.2;
eth1: 192.168.0.254 to network 1.
eth2: a public IP to network 2.

A Billion ADSL modem/router is connected to eth0 for internet
access, and... serves both networks.

For better understanding, I have made the following sketch:

Internet---ADSLmodem/router---Linux bridge---Encore switch
            (Billion 711CE)   Fedora Core1    (Network 1)

                            NetGear switch
                              (Network 2)

Both networks have access to a common folder in the Linux machine.

I am trying to make network 1 more efficient (fast in all sense)
Initially, I thought about changing the switch of network 1 for a
faster one.  What further options do I have in order to make network 1
more efficient in terms of speed, access, and sharing of files ?

Your help, suggestions, and comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Advice on how to make my network more efficient

Post by Enno Lenz » Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:23:31

Quote:> Network 2: IP numbers of the form 182.168.xxx.xxx, which I think,
> corresponds to public IP addresses.

ahh..ou..missunderstodd it.

So if it is a public ip network: how is it routed to the world, and from
the wrold back to you?

regards, enno

--
http://www.verbrennung.org

Post by danub.. » Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:29:24

> > Network 2: IP numbers of the form 182.168.xxx.xxx, which I think,
> > corresponds to public IP addresses.

> ahh..ou..missunderstodd it.

> So if it is a public ip network: how is it routed to the world, and from
> the wrold back to you?

> regards, enno

Thanks Enno for answering my concern.
In response, it is routed to the world through the ADSL modem/router
Billion BIPAC 711CE.

danubian.

Post by Inco Warre » Sat, 04 Dec 2004 08:21:50

>> > Network 2: IP numbers of the form 182.168.xxx.xxx, which I think,
>> > corresponds to public IP addresses.

>> ahh..ou..missunderstodd it.

>> So if it is a public ip network: how is it routed to the world, and from
>> the wrold back to you?

>> regards, enno

>Thanks Enno for answering my concern.
>In response, it is routed to the world through the ADSL modem/router
>Billion BIPAC 711CE.

>danubian.

I believe Enno was refering how Network 2, which you 'think' is a
public address, connects to the public net as nothing in your drawing
shows that (direct) connection.

I believe ADSL modems/routers such as the Billion spits out only
local/private addresses.

Inco

Post by Edgar No » Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:54:18

> >> ahh..ou..missunderstodd it.

> >> So if it is a public ip network: how is it routed to the world, and from
> >> the wrold back to you?

> >> regards, enno

> >Thanks Enno for answering my concern.
> >In response, it is routed to the world through the ADSL modem/router
> >Billion BIPAC 711CE.

> >danubian.

> I believe Enno was refering how Network 2, which you 'think' is a
> public address, connects to the public net as nothing in your drawing
> shows that (direct) connection.

> I believe ADSL modems/routers such as the Billion spits out only
> local/private addresses.

> Inco

My network 2, which has public adresses, conects to the public net
through the
Billion. I does not have a direct connection. Could it be the case the
Billion
would translate a public IP address again to another public address,
which i think is redundant.  I appreciate your answer.