Something odd with telnet, ftp, rlogin.....

Something odd with telnet, ftp, rlogin.....

Post by _chri » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I got my ppp connection up.  However, when i try telnet, ftp, or rlogin, it
only works if I use the IP address.  For instance,

telnet foo.bar.com

It give an error message....

telnet 123.234.34.3

will connect.....

any ideas whats up.....

_chris_

Post by Jacob Walt » Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I got my ppp connection up.  However, when i try telnet, ftp, or rlogin, it
>only works if I use the IP address.  For instance,

>telnet foo.bar.com

>It give an error message....

>telnet 123.234.34.3

>will connect.....

>any ideas whats up.....

>_chris_

sounds like you aren't using a DNS server . there should be a file called
/etc/resolv.conf  - this contains the nameserver list.  for instance on my
machine i have

        domain lampf.lanl.gov
        nameserver xxx.xxx.xx.xx

you may have to get the ip of the DNS from your admin if you don't know what
it is.

ciao,

jacob

--
jacob waltz
los alamos national laboratory

Post by Tom Wils » Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I got my ppp connection up.  However, when i try telnet, ftp, or rlogin, it
>only works if I use the IP address.  For instance,

>telnet foo.bar.com

>It give an error message....

>telnet 123.234.34.3

>will connect.....

>any ideas whats up.....

Do you have a nameserver specified in your /etc/resolv.conf?  Simply
put in a line:
nameserver ip.address.of.your.name.server

--
Tom Wilson

http://plains.uwyo.edu/~twilson/homepage.html