getting Lan connected via ppp thru ethernet

getting Lan connected via ppp thru ethernet

Post by Terrelle Sha » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello all, im sure this has come up many times, so
please just point to me to the specific howto's or readme
files.

I want to be able to connect a lan ( 192.x.x.x) to my linux box
(static ip given by isp) to be able to access the internet when`
connected. The lan is connected to my linux box via ethernet, and
the linux box is connected to the isp via ppp.

I'm sure its setting up ip_masq, and probably ip_forw. But
how to setup the ppp and ethernet interfaces with two different
ip's ( if thats what i gotta do)??

Thanks again..

Post by Ralf » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I want to be able to connect a lan ( 192.x.x.x) to my linux box
> (static ip given by isp) to be able to access the internet when`
> connected. The lan is connected to my linux box via ethernet, and
> the linux box is connected to the isp via ppp.

> I'm sure its setting up ip_masq, and probably ip_forw. But
> how to setup the ppp and ethernet interfaces with two different
> ip's ( if thats what i gotta do)??

Read the ip-masqerading-mini-howto, the ppp-howto and the net-2-howto.
If you
then still have problems mail me.

--
                                     #    / )  () _        __  _
Ralf Krueger                         #   / /_ /) / \/)/)_/)\ \/ )

http://www.gm.fh-koeln.de/~iw097/    #  The OS of a GNU Generation!

Post by Kalevi Hautanie » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: I want to be able to connect a lan ( 192.x.x.x) to my linux box
: (static ip given by isp) to be able to access the internet when`
: connected. The lan is connected to my linux box via ethernet, and
: the linux box is connected to the isp via ppp.

: I'm sure its setting up ip_masq, and probably ip_forw. But
: how to setup the ppp and ethernet interfaces with two different
: ip's ( if thats what i gotta do)??

You're right, the answer is in ip-masquerading and ind ip-forwarding
in the kernel.

Only thing, in addition to these, you have to worry about is NOT to
having default route before you set up the PPP -link to your ISP.

PPP -link invoked with 'defaultroute' option will take care of your
routing table.

PPP is also able to assign your ppp0 interface an ip-number given by
your ISP if you invoke ppp with 'noipdefault' option. A host can have
multiple ip's for multiple interfaces right a away and can be
configured to have multiple ip-numbers even in one interface
(aliasing).

--
Kalevi J Hautaniemi,      Marjatankatu 12,     33730 Tampere,  FINLAND.
******  http://www.sci.fi/~khmi/  *******  On air:  OH3FG, KO4BC ******

Post by Brian McCaule » Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I want to be able to connect a lan ( 192.x.x.x) to my linux box
> (static ip given by isp) to be able to access the internet when`
> connected. The lan is connected to my linux box via ethernet, and
> the linux box is connected to the isp via ppp.

> I'm sure its setting up ip_masq, and probably ip_forw. But
> how to setup the ppp and ethernet interfaces with two different
> ip's ( if thats what i gotta do)??

Just do it.  I'm at a loss to understand what you are unable to.