HELP my modem dials automatically on boot

HELP my modem dials automatically on boot

Post by Keit » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I was having trouble getting my modem to work on my Linux bax to work
so I narrowed it down to the modem being a piece of *and bought
another one. The modem is functioning, but it dials when I boot up
Linux and I am to new to Linux to figure out what it is trying to do.
It seems to do it right when it loads the PPP stuff on boot up. Can I
modify a script that will only let the modem dail when I want to go to
the Internet.

Keith

Post by Ed Turne » Thu, 09 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I was having trouble getting my modem to work on my Linux bax to work
> so I narrowed it down to the modem being a piece of *and bought
> another one. The modem is functioning, but it dials when I boot up
> Linux and I am to new to Linux to figure out what it is trying to do.
> It seems to do it right when it loads the PPP stuff on boot up. Can I
> modify a script that will only let the modem dail when I want to go to
> the Internet.

> Keith

  Keith,

  Try editing the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 file and
changing the 'ONBOOT=' parameter to OFF.

1. Modem dialing automatically!?

Hello,

I am attempting to set up a new USRobotics 56k internal modem.  However,
when I enter the command "setserial /dev/ttyS2 16550A,"  the modem connects
to the phone line and dials out.  What is going on, and how can I get
through the rest of the configuration process?

Thanks for your help in advance

Bill Smith

2. saving console i/o

3. I would like to automatically logout a user dialing in on a modem

4. COLA FAQ 2 of 6 07-Dec-2002

5. Cloned boot drive boots to windows, then automatically logs me off -- Help!

6. how to inform pppd Session-Timeout value using radius

7. Modem setup help, modem makes weird noise, will not dial.

8. what version am I running?!

9. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

10. modem dials on boot

11. Boot String to automatically boot dos

12. Modem Problems: dial-out is ok/dial-in is not ok (Solaris 2.6)